Hull Speed

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I've lost the mathematical formula for figuring the THS of the 34. Does anyone know what the Theoretical Hull Speed is of the C-34?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

derekp

Derek Peddlesden
Kaleidoscope

Ken Heyman

roughly --its 1.3 times the square root of the water line. So if a boat has a 25 foot water line the HS would be 6.5 (knots -I believe).
I'm certain you will find more precision on google or wikipedia,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Lance Jones

Thank you! The US Sailing site has it at 7.23 using their calculator. How many of you have exceeded this speed? I know I have (At least the GPS said so.)
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

I'd guess almost all of us have at one time or another.  Surfing down waves coming back into the Golden gate on breezy day we hit 10.9, but the knot meter isn't calibrated.  It's all relative.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

The only reason I asked is that I do find myself on great wind days able to consistently hit 7.1 - 7.5. Yesterday, I hit 8.1. What a great boat! :thumb:
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

WTunnessen

8 knots seems pretty good if your not surfing as well or have a favorable tide. 

Do you have a folding prop?
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Tom Madden

one thing to consider in assessing your speed using GPS (which measures speed over ground, not the speed thru the water) is the impact of the current you are in.  if the current is going the same direction as you ( for example, at 10 knots ) then your SOG will be much better than your speed thru the water (i.e. hull speed.)

Jeff_McKinney

I've clocked 9.2 SOG on a beam reach (with witnesses), 15 degrees of heel, balanced helm, clean bottom, folding prop.

What a rush!  :thumb:
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Lance Jones

All that about current is true. However, I'm on Lake Lanier in Georgia. Little, if any, current available. Well, that sucking noise is Florida and Alabama trying to suck our lake dry..... :think
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Bobg

I have hit 8.6 on lake superior, 135 genoa and full main, about 20 degrees heel, you are right what a rush,

I was reading a book the other day, a guy was asked if he would like to go sailing, the person replied that if he wanted to sail, he would buy a rv and cross North Dakota keeping the speed below 7 miles an hour.  I thought it was funny.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Bill Asbury

Considering the windage a motor home would have in a North Dakota ground blizzard he might be hard-pressed to hold his speed under 10 knots...:-)
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Jeff_McKinney

Would that RV speed be 10 knots on the long axis or getting blown sideways across the prairie?   :rolling
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Albreen

Another reason for the increase above theoretical hull speed is the angle of heel  - the angle of heel contributes to boat lenght at the waterline. So, in essence you have more waterline and therefore more speed potential. But, I have no idea the coorelation of angle of heel to speed.....
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

Roger Blake

The more heel I have, the faster I seem to go.  :D
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414