rudder post leak

Previous topic - Next topic

lucky

I have water in the skeg on my 1986 catalina #13.I found the bolts on packing gland loose,one full turn.I have not had a chance to sail or motor yet,thisis when water gets in to bilge.If packing gland does not solve water leak,andthere is crack in rudder post ,how do i repair and what material  do i use to fill crack?
Al Landry
c34 #13
Lucky

Ron Hill

Al : First of all, you have to determine if the water is raw/salt or fresh !!!! 
When a C34 is static (with out the motor propelling it) the rudder packing gland is above the water line!!
A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

lucky

Ron
The boat is on Lake Texoma in north texas,I accomalate water inbildge while sailing or motoring,when boat is not moving I have no water problem.I'm concerned the rudder shaft may have acrack on the lower section
thanks
Al

RV61

Al,
You may want try running in gear at the dock and check the packing gland and shaft tube for excessive water.

I had similar mystry water in the bilge while sailing or motoring and tracked it down to a bad hose for my manual bildge pump. It appeared water would enter thru the discharge outlet found near the bottom of the stern. Changed out the hose no more water. It was a good wake up to be sure the manual pump worked.
Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Stu Jackson

Quote from: lucky on June 18, 2009, 04:17:48 PM
....how do i repair and what material  do i use to fill crack?

Al, just use an epoxy.  Marine Tex is one of many available.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Al : I seriously doubt that the stainless rudder column has a crack in it. 
As mentioned by Rick, put the engine in gear while tied to the dock.  That way you can go below and look/see where the water is coming in. 
You don't have an aft water tank, but you might check the manual and electric bilge pump connections on the inside of the transom.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788