mystery water in the bilge

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Glennon

here is something to lookout for:
I finally launched this past weekend (another lovely spring in New England!) and while motoring from Mattapoisett to Onset across Buzzards Bay, I noticed water rising in the bilge. I bailed, and continued on my way, after searching all the usual suspects (sea cocks, muffler, engine hoses, heat exchanger, etc.)
The next day I returned to the boat to find the bilge almost full again with water.  After bailing as much as possible, I sponged all as best I could, noting that the sea cocks, etc. were intact.
Peering into the aftermost compartment near the hot water tank with flashlight, I noticed water rickling down from the starboard side into that bilge area.  I then removed the deep draw in the galley area, and discovered the fresh water strainer that was mounted out of sight (and mind) just streaming away with a water leak.. even though the water pressure switch was off.  I had the rear tank manifold open, so I closed it, and the leak stopped.  I removed the housing from the fixture, and applied some Teflon tape to the threads, reattached and the leak was no more.  usually something like this would go undetected... just the aggravation of always water in the bilge, but coincidentally, my bilge pump decided to die at the same time. I did have a new one to swap out, and the leak ended my procrastination.
Something to check when you seem to not be able to find the nuisance leak...
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Roger Blake

Ah yes...had similar problem last year. Was on mooring ball in Annapolis watching the sailboat races and drinking a beer (well, several) and heard the fresh water pump running...filling the bilge. Tracked it down to a leaking (more like spraying) fresh water filter under the shelf under the sink. Pulled it out, and apart, and found several stainless steel screws in it. Cleaned it out, reinstalled, problem went away...of course, only after it had emptied my forward tank.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Ron Hill

Tom : I'll guess that you need a new gasket for that water strainer. 
I wrote that up in the Mainsheet tech notes - giving the part numbers for the gasket, course & fine stainless strainers.
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

My fresh water strainer under the sink looks a lot like my raw water strainer to the engine although I haven't had them side by side.
Could they be the same?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

steve stoneback

Mike,

I believe they are the same.  Mine also look identical.

Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

C Martinson

My hull number is 945, year 1989 and am wondering if the strainer was standard or an add on.....I think I've looked every where under the galley sink (when searching for a leak in either the drain or faucet the previous owner supposedly upgraded but never found) and have never seen a strainer on the fresh water system? 

Any thoughts?

Chris
More Therapy
Hull 945 1989

waterdog

You may find that they are talking about a sea water strainer that feeds the foot pump driven spigot on the sinks...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Guys, Susan and D.Gill : The see-thru, 4" plastic, screw-on jar type strainers under the galley sink and the raw water intake for the engine were both standard and identical.
As I wrote in the Mainsheet tech notes many years ago, I recommend that people change out the course filter screen in the fresh water strainer to the finer mesh screen.  Reason is that the pressure differential sensor in the fresh water pump is more fragile and very sensitive to particles - that can/WILL screw it up.
A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Chris,
Some strainers are attached directly to the inlet port of the water pump.  They look like pucks that screw onto the fitting.  That may be why you don't see one spliced in-line with the hose.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD