GPS Recommendation

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Bain

Looking for a GPS under 1000.00
I have the G2 maps for Garmin, but the 520 seems a bit small.
Any other recommendations? Enjoying my 36, but miss the 34! I think the 34 is the better layout!

Rich
PAZZO
Bayfield Ontario
Richard Bain
"PAZZO"
London, ON, Canada

Ron Hill

Rich : Having a hard time responding to something 2 ft longer (smile)!! 
I have a 545 and really like it and I believe that you G2 card will work in it.  Recommend you check with Garmin. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Richard, Hi again. 

Yours is kinda an open ended difficult question.  I love my Garmin GPS Map 76Cx.  I'll bet a dozen other skippers will give you two dozen answers.  So:  handheld, fixed mount, helm, down below,. internal antenna, external???  Please, help us out here...to help you.  What are you looking for?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Richard Bain

Thanks Stu!
Good to hear from you.
I am looking for a fixed binnacle mounted plotter, with a preference for an internal antenna. I looked at the Garmin 520, but the screen just seems a bit small.
I have been using a handheld Garmin 76C but time to upgrade.

Take Care.
Rich

Richard Bain
"PAZZO"
London, ON, Canada

Ken Heyman

Richard,
I've been using the Garmin handheld 76CSX(similar to Stu's), for the last few years, and have been very pleased. It has a host of navigational features and is easily adaptable for road use with some additional software. The color display is vivid and easy to read in direct sunlight.  Garmin Bluechart software is purchased by region and downloaded to the unit.

(I just realized that the above sounds like a late night "infomercial"---only missing the "but wait------" )

The best prices are offered by on-line retailers and  are significantly less  than when I purchased mine. Practical Sailor also has reviewed this GPS (and others) and given it extremely good marks. Do a "google search"

If you need/want a big display and a fixed installation, you need to consider different options. It can be integrated with a on-board laptop PC although I don't use this feature.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

horsemel

take a look at the new Garmin 640.  All touchscreen, great graphics and good reviews.  I have seen it online for under $1000, but not much.  WM wants around 1200 for it.  We are saving our scratch and hope to buy one in the next year or so.  Hopefully prices will drop.  I have talked to a couple of power boat types who have them and are really happy with them.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Bill Asbury

I have a Garmin 492 Map purchased maybe 3 years ago for around a grand and love it. 
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Guys : The advantage of the G2 Garmin card is the it does not do navigation in a straight line - like the others do. 
You set the depth and the mast clearance.  After you select "Navigate to" you then select "guide to" and the magenta colored line keeps you in water to the depth that you selected, and steers the boat around fingers of land etc. Neat !! 
Ron, Apache #788

Richard Bain

Thanks for all of the great info. I will check them all out.
Rich
Richard Bain
"PAZZO"
London, ON, Canada

Wayne

Regarding Ron Hill's comment . . . WOW!!  That is neat.  My wind instrument already lets me sail to the changes in wind direction . . . Now if a GPS could interface with that, and take care of some sail trimming, I could succeed in my goal to become the laziest sailer around . . .
Seriously, I like my Garmin handheld 375 so much better than the Raymarine GPS mounted on my binacle.  And their customer support is way better than Raymarine.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

rirvine

I would recommend that you look at the navigation software that is available on the iPhone.  There are a number available each for less than $50.00 - check them out on the iTunes store.   I use MacENC running on Powerbook and INAV running on a iPhone.

Ray

Ken Heyman

that's a great idea Ray. I have been victimized (financially) by Verizon and Blackberry over the last few years and it may be time for a change. This capability bodes well for the I-phone. One of the things I like about the Garmin handheld is the easy conversion to a over the road navigational device. If the I phone does double duty -all the better.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Gary Brockman

Ray -

I have been using a Garmin 76CSX and have been very pleased with it but have been thinking about buying a used ibook/powerbook to keep on the boat to be used as a TV/DVD player as well as a chart table chartplotter.   The PO installed a 19" LCD TV above the chart table that took up too much room so I took it off and gave it to my daughter. The mac can work on its battery or plug it in to charge.

I have been looking at the MacENC and the MacGPS Pro software and have yet to decide which one to get. How do you like MacENC, has it worked as well as you thought it would? Did you buy their USB antenna and if so, did you mount it topside or in the cabin? If you mounted it topside, where did you put it and did you need a USB extension?

Thanks for your help.

- Gary -

Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Craig Illman

Gary - a USB GPS that has the SiRF III chipset will pull signal within the cabin. It looks like they're available for $30-40 on the Internet.

Craig

hump180

We are happy with the 545 Garmin. Bought it last fall online for around 600$ and mounted it on an edson mount at the binnacle. When I bought it I was looking or simplicity in mounting and wiring, along with a quality GPS. With the internal antenna and no other trnasducer required it is great.
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie