Manson supreme anchor

Previous topic - Next topic

pjcomeau

Does anyone have the Manson supreme anchor? I'm looking at getting the 25lbs model (our boat size is at top of 25lbs and bottom of 35lbs). From what I read Manson's recommended sizes are conservative, so the 25lbs should be more then adequate. Any comments/feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pierre
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Craig Illman

Pierre - I have a 35, if I did it again, I'd get a 25 instead. I haven't had it on the bottom that many times, but we don't get the extreme weather in the summers here from thunderstorms that people get in the east and south.

It certainly sets well. We can have a lot of eelgrass here covering the bottom and the Manson sets right down through it where a Bruce will slide on top of it.

Craig

Stu Jackson

Pierre,

We purchased a Rocna.  My understanding is that it appears from the sizing tables the Rocna may, just may, be a little bit lighter than the Manson Supreme, so if weight (alone) is an issue for you for retrieval you may want toconsider the Rocna, too.  I do not know comparative pricing.

We discussed these types of anchors for those who "missed the discussion" titled  "Roll Bar Anchors" here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4457.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

jmnpe

Pierre,

The Manson Supreme is a 25 pound unit, and the Rocna is a 22 pound unit. The West Marine retail price for the Manson/Rocna is $299/$400. At the next larger size, the Manson 35 pound is $450 versus the Rocna 33 pound at $500. The Rocna is likely better made, or at least "prettier" than the Manson, but the Manson still has a Lloyd's Type Approval. I have recommended the Manson to a number of people and they have been very happy with it both on lakes with "goopy" bottoms and along the Texas Gulf coast. I elected to go with the 35 pound Manson on our boat, but only because I am adding a windlass soon, and I sleep much better with the bigger anchor down. Here in north central Texas, we have lines of thunder storms come through with sometime 60-70 mph out-flow winds with instant wind direction changes, so BIGGER is always good when it comes to ground tackle if you can handle it OK.

John
1988 hull 728
Otra Vez
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728