Celluar antenna for Cortex AIS

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

I've installed a Vesper Cortex VHF/AIS and it has an option to have an external antenna (there's an internal one) added.

I've had to mount the Cortex in the hanging locker port side, so it's not exactly LOS with any towers. 

Vepser/Garmin lists an antenna, but I was wondering if there are any other choices that would work?  The Vesper/Garmin is a bit pricey, and it's good to have other options, as I'm not sure of availability.

The cell antenna allows the Cortex to send anchor drag/bilge alarms your phone.
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Jon W

I added a 3 foot long Shakespeare 5215-AIS for the external antenna on my Vesper XB-8000. Some folks use their masthead VHF with a splitter box mounted near the AIS box. The Vesper Cortex is the new version so may have different requirements. I would call Vesper and ask them before buying anything.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

pbyrne

Quote from: Jon W on June 09, 2023, 06:26:16 PM
I added a 3 foot long Shakespeare 5215-AIS for the external antenna on my Vesper XB-8000. Some folks use their masthead VHF with a splitter box mounted near the AIS box. The Vesper Cortex is the new version so may have different requirements. I would call Vesper and ask them before buying anything.

Yes, the Cortex comes with a built in splitter so you can use the existing VHF antenna.  This is for completely separate antenna just for cell.

This is the Vesper unit, but I was hoping to find out if there is anything comparable. https://tetronmarinestore.com/en-ca/products/vesper-external-cellular-antenna-w-5m-16-cable-mounts-f-cortex-m1-010-13266-20

waughoo

I bet a simple corkscrew antenna for a software defined radio would do the trick for that.  It is an sma connector that the vesper cortex hub uses for that antenna.  That said, it looks like one can purchase the vesper antenna for about 100 dollars, which seems pretty reasonable for a marine antenna.  I am in the process of installing a cortex hub on my boat, but can't say the cloud connection is high on my list of use cases for the device, despite the value they offer.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

pbyrne

Quote from: waughoo on June 09, 2023, 10:00:23 PM
I bet a simple corkscrew antenna for a software defined radio would do the trick for that.  It is an sma connector that the vesper cortex hub uses for that antenna.  That said, it looks like one can purchase the vesper antenna for about 100 dollars, which seems pretty reasonable for a marine antenna.  I am in the process of installing a cortex hub on my boat, but can't say the cloud connection is high on my list of use cases for the device, despite the value they offer.

Yeah, i's a SMA connector.   In Canada that antenna is close to $200 CAD.  Which is part of the reason I'm asking. 

What's a corkscrew antenna?

waughoo

It apparently is called a wide band antenna.  That said, you can likely search for a 4g/5g antenna with an sma connector on it.  It won't look pretty, but should help with the signal.  Link below shows what I was thinking of when talking about a corkscrew antenna.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Antenna-For-RTL-SDR-Software-Defined-Radio-USB-Stick-Dongle-Tuner-Receiver-/154487669110?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p4429486.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

pbyrne

Quote from: waughoo on June 10, 2023, 09:54:15 PM
It apparently is called a wide band antenna.  That said, you can likely search for a 4g/5g antenna with an sma connector on it.  It won't look pretty, but should help with the signal.  Link below shows what I was thinking of when talking about a corkscrew antenna.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Antenna-For-RTL-SDR-Software-Defined-Radio-USB-Stick-Dongle-Tuner-Receiver-/154487669110?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p4429486.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

In a pinch I could cook kabobs with it too!  :D  Maybe an alternative approach is to use a cell booster.  That way personal phones as well as the Cortex have better reception.  Of course there is now another load on the batteries and an addition breaker to think about.   No problem during the day (solar setup) but at night, I'm not sure what the impact is on the batteries.

Craig Illman

You might see if these folks have something that could address your search for an alternative. https://www.jefatech.com/

Craig

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig