Refrigerator adjustment level

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Now that I have all the kinks worked out of the system, do I want the cold plate to be cold but, dry? Or, would it be better to have frosty ice all over it? I went out this evening to putt around doing odd jobs on the boat. I said to meself, self I'm thirsty. I went to the fridge to get me a cold one. Low and behold, step back while I touch myself, I pulled out an ICE COLD BEER! It was sooo cold it was slushy!!!! Any input would be welcome. See Fleet 13s up coming June event on the Fleet forums....
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : If you have frost forming on the plates it's because there is moisture inside the fridge.  Moisture - From opening it in a humid climate or water back flowing from the foot pump???
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

It may take a day or so to build up ice on the evaporator.  More buildup means you have moisture inside the box, as Ron says.  Seal the cover better.  Hinge the cover.  Open it less.  Never use a pick to "defrost."  Use the Knowledgebase and read up on fridges.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

Thanks all. Most of those suggestions have already been put in place. The lid is hinged and is sealed to the point that it's hard for the admiral to open. I guess the question is then, is frost ok?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

RV61

Lance,
The frost does not seem to hurt anything however as it builds up from several weeks of no defrost I have found firdge is a little less efficient. These are like old fashion freezers before frost free. When you leave turn off fridge open lid and let it defrost. When you come back remove water in the bottom.     
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

prh77

Even when I pump out all the water in fridge, there is still about 2" due to fact drain is mounted above bottom. Is this true of all 34s?
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

RV61

Lance,
Yes I usually have some standing water the foot pump will not pump out. I usually
usually go diving with a sponge to get last of the water. a manual hand pump that is tall enough may be easier. I have thought about in a new drain location in the bottom of the box instead side however it not high on my list and have not gotten to it.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Roland Gendreau

Lance

I use a refrigerator thermometer to adjust the setting so that the temperature on the top shelf is about 30 degrees.

Sounds like yours is much colder if your beer is slushly. The colder you have it set, the more power it will use. 

We have a Seafrost plate type system and find we have to defrost it during long cruises about once every 5 days or so to prevent frost from building up a lot and reducing the unit's efficiency. I find the daily energy use increases if the layer of frost gets very thick.

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ron Hill

Guys : Have written this before, but worth repeating:
1.  Frost that collects on the freezer box tells the thermostat that all is OK on box temperature.  In reality
the temperature is above 40F. 
Defrost every week and the fridge will maintain 40F or slightly below.  Only takes about 1/2 hour - unload and turn off fridge, take a fan and aim it at the freezer compartment, the frost will drop off by itself, pump out the water with the foot pump and dry off the freezer box and the inside of the box with a towel or two.  Turn on the fridge and reload.

2.  I took a 1/2" 90 degree copper tubing elbow.  Then take a piece of tubing (approx 6" long) and insert it into the copper elbow.  Cut the tubing end at about a 15 degree angle (so it matches the fridge bottom).  Insert the elbow (use some tape to get a tight fit) into the side fridge drain hole. Now you can get all of the excess water out of the fridge bottom!!

A few thoughts.  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

tonywright

When you say that you put the beer in the fridge, it sounds like you maybe put it in the freezer? This would make it slushy...

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

David Arnold

A great thing to have on the boat for a wide variety of uses is the synthetic chamois like Sham-Wow.  They really do pick up about ten times their volume in water.  Drop it in the bottom of the fridge and it will very easily pick up all water that the pump can't get.  Squeeze it dry and move on the the next standing water you want to pick up.  Worth their weight in gold on the boat!  P.S.  I don't sell them; just have used them for years and all the claims at the boat or home show demonstations are true!
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Ron Hill

Forgot another important thing (Its been written up MANY times before).
Install a small fan, like a "Fridge Mate" to keep the air circulating.  The Fridge Mate takes a single D cell battery and lasts for about 60 days.
The movement of air in the fridge helps to keep the temperature uniform through out the inside of the fridge.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Great idea! Where might one obtain such a device?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : I went to Goggle and typed in Fridge Mate and found 3 places that sold them. 
The price was between $14.00 and $14.99.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788