raw water strainer question

Previous topic - Next topic

jsampson818

finally going in tomorrow, was getting the interior prepped and putting the cover back on the strainer thi am, for the life of me can't remember if there is a gasket between the clear cover and housing? seems there should be? i have a 1990. thanks

Stephen Butler

We also have a 1990, and yes, there is a rubber gasket between the clear body and the black top of the raw water filter/strainer.  Hope this helps.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

jsampson818

thanks for confirming, will hunt for it!

Ralph Masters

Without the gasket it'll leak water into the bilge but more importantly it'll suck air into the pump and not cool the engine.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ken Juul

I think the gaskets are available at WM or other chandleries.....but there is nothing special about them.  I carry a sheet of rubber gasket material I got at NAPA or one of the other auto stores (may be available at Ace) and cut my own if I loose/break a gasket.  Measure the diameter of the inside and outside dimensions, lay them out with your nav dividers and cut.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Way back (early 1990s) I wrote in the Mainsheet tech note the company and parts # for the assembly, strainer and gasket.  I'm sailing so can't look it up.
You could also go to a hardware/automotive store and get a large "O" ring which should work.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788