400 Watt Bimini

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

I had a fitting on the new bimini top today.   A few corrections tonight and it should be good to go. 

The canvas is more or less an anti drip membrane.   We thought black canvas would be pretty silly for Mexico, but only a few bits of it will ever see the sun, so why not keep it all matching?    Next up is an acre of solar panels that go on top over two mounting rails. 

I'll be adding a zip-in connecting panel with clear windows to go between the dodger and bimini.    I don't like a full enclosure that is so popular up here, but we will add a few sun screens that will attach to keep things cool at anchor.

The frame is 1 inch stainless, 3 bows, with struts both fore and aft to provide the necessary support for the panels.   

I just need to add a few of those big tubular subwoofers and some racks for the wake boards.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ken Juul

The connector is great, when it's blowing rain it really helps keep the cockpit/companionway dry.  When I ordered mine I made the mistake  on only getting one 30" window centered.  It's like having blinders on, can't see anything but right in front of the bow.  If I were to do it again I would get 2 windows with a strip of canvas vertically in the center so the connector can be folded for storage.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Michael Shaner

Funny...the connector is always a bone of contention between The Admiral and me. She always wants it on...I ponder setting it on fire. Our connector is solid, no windows. As Ken said, its fantastic for keeping the cockpit / companionway protected, use it all the time on the hook, but it is WORTHLESS under way!

Look Steve, another use for one of those sewing machines...marital harmony!! Gotta get me one of those...gotta get... :D

Impressive, as usual. The sun screen idea is fantastic...
Michael & Alison Shaner

waterdog

My plan for marital harmony includes three windows with removable covers that go over top and fasten with the twist fasteners.  I cut out the blank last night and attached it with a zipper to the bimini.   Today I plan to fit it to the dodger and catch a 25 lb salmon.   

Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

steve stoneback

Steve,
You do nice work, looks great.  I am just wondering what catching a 25 pound salmon has to do with fitting the dodger to the bimini.  By chance are you using the fish oil to seal the material, if so, beware of flies when you head south.
sps
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

waterdog

Apparently there is no connection whatsoever between the bimini and catching salmon.   I did mark the connecting piece, cut it and sew in the zipper.   Ready to go but for the windows.   Strangely, no salmon though after eight hours of trying.   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Hawk

Jeez Steve, 8 hours salmon fishing is just the morning shift.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Ron Hill

Steve : Your black canvas and the thought of going to sunny Mexico leaves me speechless.   
Ron, Apache #788

Susan Ray

Black canvas in Hawaii is wonderfu alsol...
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Rick Johnson

Hang tough, Steve,

If black tents are good enough for the Bedouins in North Africa, then a black bimini and dodger should be fine for a Canadian in Mexico...  Besides, it just looks good!!!!

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

waterdog

So we did an overnight run up the coast to Jedediah Island testing out the new radar.  Sunday, the conditions were so smooth crossing to Pender Harbour.   I was flying the new spinnaker ghosting along on flat seas at 4 knots and my guests set up deck chairs on the foredeck and watched as a pod of 50 dolphins went by.   I've never seen anything like it.   

Today was the test of marital harmony.   We had a seven hour run back from Pender mostly motoring directly into wind driven rain.   I put the new connector piece complete with windows in place.    Within a few minutes, I was called up on deck to remove it.   Tracey didn't like the visibility!    She would rather wear her foulies and be able to see rather than trying to squint through the raindrops on plastic.  I have to say I hate the damn thing too.   We have complete marital harmony!    I'm sure it will be lovely at anchor on a rainy day... 
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Joe and Carol

We have not designed a connector for our bimini due to the great visibility when standing and peering forward over the dodger.  But, in dock, during rain, we think the connector would be fine.
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Craig Illman

Steve - We had a huge pod of Dahl's porpoise go by us in Rosario Strait the previous Sunday, heading west. It was an unusual sight. Now my daughter can't complain about not seeing anything, but it's raised the bar pretty high.

Craig

Lance Jones

That is so great. We saw a pod of Large Mouth Bass on our last sail! :rolling I envy y'all. We can't wait to move to the coast. I grew up in NW Florida and I long to return.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

waterdog

The bimini is now complete.   390 Watts of solar.  By 8:00 in the morning it was serving the fridge load and putting 2A extra into the housebank.   By noon it had completely replenished the 56 Ah deficit.   I'm thinking I might run electric heaters through my inverter just because I can.   It is really not as bulky as I thought it might be...
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat