LinkLite accuracy & parasitic drain rate

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle Ewing

I recently installed a Xantrex Linklite.  With all circuits off (main battery switch off, echo charge and radio memory disconnected) it fluctuates between 0 and .1 amps of draw.  I can't find anything else drawing and can't find any current leaks when following Calder's guide.

Has anyone experienced this or is current draw reliably 0 when everything is off?

The specifications read "Readout resolution:  +- .1 amp" and "Current measurement:  +- .4%".  I opened a ticket with Xantrex to see if this is a known problem, defect, or installation problem but haven't received a response.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Stu Jackson

Good investment, Kyle.

The electrical specifications show the supply current at 9 mA,  This is with the alarm relay and back lighting turned off.  It's on the data sheet and should be on the spec sheet, too.  This is a constant parasitic draw.  Not an issue over a reasonably short period of time, just do the math on a weekly basis.  They all have this draw.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

BillG

Yes, i have a Xantrex XBM monitor and even with everything turned off, draws a minimal amount.  During winter storage, i always
disconnect the monitor by removing the fuse so as to not drain the battery over 6 months.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Kyle Ewing

Thanks for the responses so far.  I understand there's some draw but 9mA is .009 amps so I wouldn't expect it to register.  I figure either I have a draw that I can't find of close to 50mA (it fluctuates between 0 and .1 amp draw) or it's incorrectly reading a draw, either because of installation (interferenace being picked up by the twisted pair to the shunt) or calibration.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago

steve stoneback

Kyle,

Do you by chance have a bilge pump connected directly to the batteries that monitor for water?  I believe some monitor constantly and other monitor every few seconds.  One with just a float switch should draw 0 unless unless the pump is running.

Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Kyle Ewing

To answer Steve's question, I have the basic float switch so there is no current draw.

I got a response from Xantrex and they told me the Truecharge 40 draws some current.  They consider what I'm seeing to be normal.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Bob Kuba

Kyle,

Hello from Montrose Harbor!
I installed a Xantrex Link 20 a few years ago and after the first winter I realized I needed to pull the fuses out or the batteries would be drawn down during the winter.

I have not noticed any reading other than "0" when all power is off. Even with the stereo memory active.
But now you have my curiosity up. Next time I am at the boat I will look for a residual reading and let you know what I find.

Bob
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Ron Hill

Kyle : If you have a stereo or TV wired in, that amount of juice is about right for the station memory(when the sets are OFF)!!  I completely shut mine off "at the battery".  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Kyle Ewing on May 08, 2009, 07:29:26 AM...there's some draw but 9mA is .009 amps so I wouldn't expect it to register.  I figure either I have a draw that I can't find of close to 50mA (it fluctuates between 0 and .1 amp draw) or it's incorrectly reading a draw, either because of installation (interferenace being picked up by the twisted pair to the shunt) or calibration.

Kyle,

Some other ideas for your consideration.

Have you checked Function F6.3?  Is the back lighting ON all the time?

Function F1.5 states:  "Time remaining averaging filter. Specifies the time window of the moving averaging filter. There are three settings, where setting 0 gives the fastest Time remaining readout response and setting 2 the slowest. The best setting will depend on the type of battery load and your personal preference."

As I suggested in Reply #5 in my earlier discussion about Link "Gotchas" (http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4922.0.html)  I recommend that you download and read the Link 2000 manual from Xantrex.  It explains in a slightly different way how the algorithm works as far as "time averaging," which is what your F1.5 tells you.

The way it works with the Link 2000 is that you have a choice of time averaging for amps being consumed on the display from 0 to 4 to 16 to 32 minutes, with 0 being instantaneous.

What it appears that the Link Pro is doing is switching that function reading from simply showing amps averaged or instantaneous and "pushing it" into the calculation of time remaining.  Same concept, other end of the math equation, with just a slightly different readout and way of looking at it.

I use 32 minutes, a longer time average, because I always know what my instantaneous reading is from our in-line analog ammeter.  If I want to check, I'll switch my Function to 0 and read instantaneous amperage, and then back to 32 minutes.

Also, the accuracy of your instrument is noted at "(+/-) 0.1A" so it can "float" a little bit and you could well have the 9 mA current, PLUS the back lighting (if it's ON, and unless you turn it off, it will run when the "any" key is pushed - those computer whiz kids are still lookin' for the "any" key! :D :D :D) could very well have it register 0.1 A on the display.

You need to "trust" your instrument and confirm that there's no draw on it beyond the "parasitic" draw of the unit itself and Ron's and others suggestions as to other small parasitic loads you have on your boat.  All I'm trying to do is to give you some reason why it is not a real problem so you can stop pullin' your hair out.   :D 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

GORLOFSKY

I am currently working through problems with my electric and have seen the same .1 drain on my link battery monitor. Being that I have other problems this was one of the last on my list. Just a thoght, but could it be a drain from the House Bank that the LinkLite monitors to a starting battery bank. It is my understanding, and I seem to understand less and less the more I learn, that batteries will balance themselves out when connected together. Could it be the starting bank is slightly under the charge of the house bank and pulling amps away from it to bring it up to charge.

Gary

Stu Jackson

It really is important to start analyzing this, because it is simply an engineering issue with the Link, and recommend stop guessing.  The Link doesn't measure anything "that happens" between batteries, the boat is "off", the switch is "off" the combiner or echo charger is "open" so there's no connection between the reserve and house banks.  It's a "Link-parasitic" or a "Link & parasitic load" issue.

Ron Hill

Guys : As I previously mentioned, I wired my Link 10 into the Perko switch and NOT direct to the battery/s.  So when the Perko is OFF, the Link is OFF.  The original reason I did that wiring was so I could check Bank 1, Bank 2 and ALL by using the Perko switch.

By no means am I an electrical Guru, but a great plumber and let the electrons flow thru the "wire" pipes.
A thought
Ron, Apache #788