Wheel removal - Updated

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Madden

does anyone have information on wheel removal?

i know i may need a gear puller to get it off the shaft.  also, i know there may be a key that i need to remove.  however, i'm not sure of the specifics nor do i have a diagram or drawings of my wheel mechanism assembly.  its an Edson wheel, but not sure of the specifics.  i've also been told it may be a good idea to to use anti seize past (i.e. w/o the key) when reassembly and to just hand tighten the nut (so removal is easier in an emergency situation.)

any input is much appreciated.  somehow, removing this wheel seems like brain surgery to me, so i want to make sure i do it correctly.  thanks so much.

note that i don't have an issue with my wheel, except that i want to perform routine maintenance to both the wheel mechanism and auto pilot smart drive unit.

as an update to my own question, here is a link to an Edson Installation & Maintenance Guide that provides lots of useful info & drawings on the wheel and steering mechanism http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/PDFs/planning/EB381SteeringGuide.pdf

Phil Spicer

Tom, our boats are a long way apart-2007-1988, but if Edson is still a straight shaft it should not be a big job. Wrap the nut so you don't mark it with your wrench. Use something like an old leather belt or heavy vinyl. If it won't slide or wiggle off, tap it with a small block of wood & a hammer. A little anti seize shouldn't hurt, but " use the key. " I found (on my boat ) the nut would not stay tight if only hand tight, so there is always a wrench on board large enough to fit the nut. The nut is always tight. If I ever need to remove the nut I know I have a wrench to do the job.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Stu Jackson

The details are at www.edsonmarine.com.  They recently sent the Association an email to join their message group and we are considering it.

I don't know, and you didn't describe, what your issue is.  Is the wheel impossible to get off, or is it just new to you?

Our wheel nut is the old nut type, rather than the expensive, and what I believe is unnecessary, knurled knob that Edson sells.

If you have a stuck wheel, then you need a gear puller to avoid doing damage.  Stan O'Hoppe, #242, pulled his wheel, but was unsuccessful with a small puller, and went to a larger sized one.

If that's not a problem, then just unscrew the nut and pull the wheel aft.

We used a big glob of trailer axle grease on the threads, that was in 1998 and it still works; no need to get exotic.  The nut is always somewhat loose, and we simply have a habit of tightening it every few hours or so, never felt the need to do anything else.

I honestly can't think of any "emergency" situation where you'd need to pull the wheel.  Most of us have autopilots connected, so removal is a bit of work anyway.

Forget if there's a key, but there must be one, it's captive, but just be careful the first time.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Yes there is a key, it must be used or the wheel will spin on the shaft.  All of the above is correct. I just keep my nut hand tight also, check it frequently.  It may just apply to closed transom models, but I thought the reason to be able to get the wheel off quickly was because it can interfere with the emergency tiller.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

I always keep the nut so the "EDSON" on the nut is horizontal when the rudder is mid-ship.  Then the nut is not too loose, or not too tight, it's just right !    A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

I don't care where the nut is as long as it's hand-tight.

If I want to know where the rudder is, I look down to see the position.

Can only be done on Mark I and Mark I 1/4 boats!   :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

waterdog

Ron's not using the Edson to determine rudder position - he's using it to determine nut position.   I like the idea.   

Of course you can always reach down to see if your nut is too tight or too loose, but a visual is nice.   Otherwise you have to sail naked to get a visual on your nuts.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

When Al Watson (Captain Al to some) came to visit us a few years ago, we went sailing.  We'd been out for a very short time and were sailing upwind, and were "in the groove" when what I thought he said was, "How's your nuts?"  "Excuse me, sir, but we've only known each other for less than an hour!"  He was, of course, referring to the Edson wheel nut.  Not to me, since I was just the basic nut on board!  :D :D :D

sail4dale

Since we remove the wheel when we are in a cruising anchorage, I have kept the nut hand tightened for the last 5 years,  I got tired of finding a wrench and loosening it every time I wanted room in the cockpit.  I do check the tightness periodically while sailing and with a little grease on the shaft the wheel comes off easily.  

I also put a "twisty-tie" on the shaft so the key doesn't get dislodged when the wheel is off.  Won't work worth a damn without the key
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Ron Hill

Stu : For rudder position I have :
1. A "turks head" knot on the wheel so you can feel it
2. A vertical white stripe on the emergency tiller cap so I can see it

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

C Martinson

To address a statement - you don't need to remove the wheel to use the emergency tiller.  However - I posted this awhile ago....it is VERY difficult to use the emergency tiller in  anything but calm waters and that usually isn't when things happen.  After using mine - several of us had to take turns over about an hour and half period - a combination of arms and legs - there is no real leverage....I made a "vertical" extension.  I drilled a hole in a piece of hardwood (poplar is what I used) and took the edges off with a router so it is smooth.  I put the extented wood tiller over the metal pipe emergency extension and have much more leverage.  I don't remember the exact lenght but I cut it just short enough so it stores under the cushion across the rear of the aft cabin.

Chris Martinson
More Therapy
Hull 945