M25XP Water Pump Impeller direction

Previous topic - Next topic

C Martinson

I acknowledge that I am challenged in using the data base and this answer is probably in there - when you are facing the front of the engine looking towards the stern - what direction does the water pump impeller shaft turn - counter or clockwise?  I am trying a trick a mechanic told me - find the direction that the shaft turns and bend the fins back in the opposite direction and put a wire tie around it.  Install the impeller and then cut the wire tie and you'll have evenly spaced bent fins.  Supposed to make the installation much easier.

Thank You,

Chris Martinson
More Therapy
Hull 945
M25XP

Stu Jackson

Chris, first, it doesn't really matter, because the vanes will take the proper position once the pump starts moving.  Second, just look at what direction they are in before you remove the old impeller, although I'm guessing that you may have removed it last year and don't recall.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

prh77

Clockwise when looking aft at the pump.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Ron Hill

Chris : Peyton is correct.  Looking at the pump (facing aft) the pump rotates clockwise.  It's best to put the new impeller in with the vanes tilted for a clockwise rotation.  I always use some water proof grease(lighter grease quickly washes away) on the housing face - it cuts down wear and helps seal suction for start up. 
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Don't forget to pre lube the vanes when you put it back together.  Vegatable cooking oil works well, won't degrade the rubber and is good for the environment.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ted Pounds

I always used Vaseline...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447