AC WIRING ISSUES

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Brener

Being married to a former Inland Marine Insurance Writer, one can expect her to have risk aversion issues. I on the other hand tend to have work aversion issues with the "if it is not broken, don't fix it"  Needless to say, hers is the better policy

I have not seen much posted about possible AC wiring issues on the older boats. The mate thinks that all the AC wiring should be replaced with new AC breakers, shore connection  and outlets. Concerns about chafe, loose connections, corrosion, etc, come to mind.

I will be interested in any thoughts on this topic.

Jim Brener
Wind Spirit  1987  #504

Ron Hill

Jim : There are a couple of items on the earlier boats (1986/87) that I would change:
1. I'd change the AC receptacles to GFI protected.  Easily done
2. Change the AC input to a single throw double pole 30amp breaker.  A bit more difficult, but still easy

There is nothing wrong with fuses, but if you want all breakers you'll have to change out the main electrical panel.

All C34s till the mid 1990s have regular wire throughout.  I would not tear it ALL out and start over.  I'd just make sure that on critical connections that the terminals are crimped and soldered.  That way you have the best electrical connection.

As you rewire items/add items just make sure that you use marine grade tinned wire.

The only real electrical wiring problem that I and some others have had is DC - with the cabin lighting.  The solution is to get rid of the damn plastic blue connectors that the factory used for the ground connections.

Otherwise the chafe, corrosion and loose connections are something that you need to inspect for and correct on a daily basis.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron's right.  Approach it in a step-by-step way.  Check the incoming, do what suggests and go from there.  Pretty simple although you have to juggle three balls, not two (the wiring).  That[s what I did when I installed our Freedom 15 combined inverter/charger in 1998.  Drats, dating myself again!   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

Quote from: Ron Hill on July 08, 2012, 12:23:29 PM
Jim : There are a couple of items on the earlier boats (1986/87) that I would change:

The only real electrical wiring problem that I and some others have had is DC - with the cabin lighting.  The solution is to get rid of the damn plastic blue connectors that the factory used for the ground connections.

:?   Yes me too.  The whole starboard side cabin lights don't work....
Another task to get done.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

BillG

My recollection on my 87 before I changed out the panel was that on the AC side, it had 2 fuses, one was used for the battery charger and one for the water heater.  The cabin receptacles were protected by the main 30 amp fuse.  Although not an electrician, in a home situation,  a 30 amp circuit would require 10 ga. wire and Im not sure what ga wire runs throughout the cabin.  This is one of the reasons I changed out the panel so I could have a separate circuit for the cabin as well as add a spare circuit for future air conditioning.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Ron Hill

Bill : The 1988 C34 has a wiring change over your 1987. 

I note that the AC outlets on a 1988 and subsequent are off a 20 amp breaker.
Ron, Apache #788