Whisker pole size

Previous topic - Next topic

Analgesic

I am about to order a whisker pole to go with my 130% genoa on a roller furler. Reviewing the Message Board I saw everyone mentioning the Forespar 12-22' Line control size.  Last minute I checked the Forespar web site which lists a sizing chart by specific boat type and for the C34 they list the 10-18' size, a significant cost savings.  I emailed Randy Risvold, their technical adviser and he responded:  "The 12-22 will be too heavy. The 10-18 will be a better all around pole.  Because of the displacement of the 34 I would not recommend using the 10-18  in the higher wind ranges except at a very short length. A lighter and stronger choice will be to purchase a fixed length pole 3' O.D. built to your J length. This will be a good all round choice for a 130% jib."     
I anticipate using this for extended running at 5-18 knot winds, possibly with the genoa reefed.  I just assumed the adjustable pole would accommodate reefing better.  I wonder if the 22' length is for a bigger genoa.  I would appreciate any experience/wisdom that could help me make this one time purchase the correct one. 
Brian McPhillips
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

Jeff Kaplan

brian, the po lost the whisker pole and i never replaced it, am thinking of it now. i too saw the forespar adj. to 22' and determined that since i don't fly a spinnaker, i don't need anything that long. i saw a forespar pole, adj. 8' to 15', for less than $400- at defender and wm. i cruise with a 130% genny and figure it is max out 12' from the mast. i plan only to use it on the occasion of down wind, wing to wing. how much was the shorter forespar that you are refering to? maybe i will look into that one...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Stu Jackson

A search on "whisker pole" (with " " marks for exact phrase when searching) found this, among many others:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3158.0.html

We have a big, fixed sized pole.  The pistons have jammed because it was originally stored vertically at the mast on the adjustable ring and a deck mounted plate.  Vertical storage tends to jam the pistons.  We use it rarely, and haven't since we raced regularly a few years ago.  One of these days I'll get my PB Blaster off the boat, or buy some to use at home (like, I do ANY work around here, right... :sleepy:) and fix it.

I've also previously reported a little trick for gybing the jib that I learned from Former Commodore Jon Arck:  Tie a loop of line through the jib clew cringle and attach the outboard end of the pole to that instead of to the jib sheet; when you gybe, lift the inboard end of the pole attached to the adjustable mast car and swing the pole through, still attached to the loop line; saves a step for the foredeck crew; or maybe it's just a cruiser's method.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dave davis

The length of the pole is very important but I would also think about the diameter of the pole. The shorter 18 foot pole uses a max diameter of only 2.5 in. instead of 3.0 in for the longer pole. I would worry about bending the pole in strong winds. They do not like bending and end up in a strange shape.
The trick about tying a loop at the clew is a very nice option if you plan on tacking often. Thanks Jon and Stu.
Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach