Battery and starting

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Ok, I followed Stu's advice and went from 2 banks of two batteries in each bank, to 2 banks with three in one (house) and 1 in the other (Starter). My issue now is that in order to start, I have to put selector on both. Suggestions?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Craig Illman

Lance - I'd recommend checking all the factory terminations on both the positive and negative legs going to the engine from the battery. After twenty years, there's bound to be enough corrosion to inhibit adequate flow of current to your starter. The factory 4 guage wiring isn't oversized for the 150-200 amps your starter draws to crank the engine.

Craig

Ken Juul

I second Craig's advice.  Before I redid my battery set up I too had a similiar problem.  Another possiblity if you just re arranged your old batteries, the one you selected as the starting battery may be weak.  Might want to get a load test on it.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: pogmusic on May 01, 2009, 05:31:41 AM
My issue now is that in order to start, I have to put selector on both. Suggestions?

It may not be a bad battery at all.  It is because the alternator output goes to the C post of the 1-2-B switch.  Sound familiar?  Lance, go here first: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4934.0.html  The read the links.  Much more discussion if you do a search on "1-2-B switch" typed just that way in the search box.

So, Lance, why DO you think you need to start on Both?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Lance : I really only use two positions on my battery selector switch -- BOTH & OFF. 
I always start the engine in BOTH and manually turn ON the Starting Battery.  I leave the battery selector in BOTH until I shut the engine back down.  The starting battery stays on for about 30 / 45 minutes and then it's recharged and turned off.

If you solder the battery terminal connections you never have to worry about a "bad connection".  As Ken said, "make sure you don't have any visible corrosion" on the battery posts themselves.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Lance, beware any and all advice, including mine, on battery switch positions without knowing this: "It all depends on how it's wired."  If you don't get a wiring diagram and/or a clear to you written description, tread lightly.  For instance: "I get on my boat and put the switch in position 1 and never move it."  Really, but you need to know why and how.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Lance Jones

I've since checked all my connections and that seems to have made a little bit of a difference. I do want to thank Stu for the great idea of going to a 3 battery house bank. What a big difference that makes. The power was knocked out at the dock by one of the many bad storms we've had in the Atlanta area lately. When I went by the boat a couple of days after the storm to go sailing, I saw the power was out. Images came to mind of the last time I lost power -- totally dead batteries because of my always on fridge. YIKES! However, when I checked the charge, it was STILL in the green!  :clap Great idea Stu!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Lance, I'm glad it worked for you, but it is NOT my idea, it came from doing a lot of reading, primarily Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical & Electrical Manual.

Back to your original question:  It appears that our responses were more about connections, rather than what you really may have been asking about the switch position, which actually shouldn't have changed much between your old and new battery arrangement.

I just added basic switch diagrams and a more detailed explanation of how they work to this topic, Alternator/Batteries & 1-2-B Switch Wiring Diagrams, see Reply #11:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4949.0.html#lastPost

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

A lot of people have also commented on the advantage of having the starting battery close to the engine.

I guess if your 3 batteries are already in place and together it may be more work but if you are adding a new starting battery, it may be worth thinking about.

I just purchased a Optima red top from Costco. I haven't hooked it up yet but I plan on putting it under the aft berth.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on May 06, 2009, 10:28:26 AM
A lot of people have also commented on the advantage of having the starting battery close to the engine.... but I plan on putting it under the aft berth.

Mike, this is simply one of the "your boat, your choice" discussions that have been going on for years and years and years.

Our reserve bank is in the OEM battery box, with one of our three house batteries, the other two are under the forward part of the U shaped settee, on a plywood base the PO had installed.

The idea about putting the reserve bank under the aft cabin to keep it close to the starter is one approach.  The other idea is to simply size the wire between the reserve bank and how you choose to connect it, wiring and switching, to the starter properly.  A little bigger wire for any longer distance works just fine for us, because we use the reserve bank to the switch design - it's all OEM #4 wiring.  Others have put the reserve bank in front of the starboard water tank, but you've probably heard all of this already, being an active registrant here on the message board, so this is for the new registrants.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Stu,
Thank you. I may have heard it all before but I always appreciate your ideas and I'm sure the others do too. Keep up the good work.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Guys, Susan & D. Gill : Yes, it's best to put the starting battery as close to the engine as possible,but there maybe other considerations!!

Origionally I put the starting battery forward of the starboard water tank to help with the post side list.  I also wanted to get more weight forward.  Electrically, the further away from the engine the more resistance there is in the wire.

As it worked out, that was a great location for the starting battery when it came to installing a Windlass 19 years later!!. 
One thing to consider is that we have small HP engines and it doesn't take alot of amps to turn over that starter. 
I believe you're best to worry about good soldered battery connections and no corrosion on the battery terminals, than where you placed the starting battery.  A thought

PS.  I'd strongly recommend a "maintenance free" starting battery.  It's one less thing that you need to check.
Ron, Apache #788

Susan Ray

Hi everyone. I think I posted this before but.. a real easy place for the 3rd (starting) battery is in the port lazerette. There is plenty of room forward in the laz. My PO wired it there...not my idea but a good one. 
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

MarkT

If you do put a battery in the port cockpit locker be sure to tie it down. The boat I just bought had a battery in that location but no tie downs. It is also a pain to water the battery if you don't make it easy to get at. It is on my list to relocate to a better location.

Mark Tamblyn

Susan Ray

Yes, It does need to be tied down. Mine is secured and is "maintenance free".
Aloha, Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii