keel bolts...

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Shaner

A knowledgable fellow toting a torque wrench, an extra deep socket and a handfull of various extensions stopped by the boat yard this weekend...come to find out, the majority of my keel bolts weren't even close to 107 ft. lbs. of torque...  :shock:

Just a friendly reminder to check 'em...  :D
Michael & Alison Shaner

Steve Sayian

I check mine every spring before launch.

I changed all the nuts, lock washers and washers 3 years ago.

A stitch in time...
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ron Hill

Michael : I'm NOT surprised.   
I've written a number of posts and a Mainsheet article about retorguing the keel bolt nuts.  Needs to be done!!
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Is the 107 FPs standard for fin and wing keels?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Michael : The answer is YES, to 107 ft lbs of torque. 
Just don't try to torque the keel bolt nuts when the boat's in the water - some owners have tried that (really)!!
Ron, Apache #788

Susan Ray

Hey Guys...I gave my deep socket to the buyer with my last boat, a Catalina 30' as the nuts were badly rusted on her and I never got around to changing them.....but....now can't seem to find a socket long enough to fit over bolts on this boat. The nuts and bolts look fine but you have scared me into wanting to retorque them when I haul next year. Is there an on line order place? Thanks
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Ken Juul

I don't remember the correct size of socket.  I was in a hurry and didn't want to spend big bucks on a little used socket.  If you want to purchase one, Snap On Tools or maybe Harbor Frieght has them.  I purchased a standard deep socket of the correct size, cut it in half and then extended it to the correct length using a piece of steel pipe.  Had it welded together.  Works great for about a third of price of a speciality socket.

The extra length is only required if you keel bolts are long.  If the bolt ends have been cut off the standard deep socket will work.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve Sayian

The socket size is 1 1/8 inches.
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

shanagolden

Hi - I'm getting ready to torque up my keel bolts this weekend. It looks like my washers are pretty corroded. They also seem pretty imbedded. The nuts seem ok. Anyone know what kind of washers are the best to use (flat/locking, combination of both etc. stainless ?)  Best place to buy em online.

Thanks,

Shanagolden

hump180

My keel baots are glassed around them so you can't even get a socket on some of them. Most all of them have some glasswork that would keep them from turning, so if I want to retorque i would have to cut out the glass, retorque, and repair the glass work.
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Steve Sayian

Shanagolden,

There's a hardware store in Hingham Center (across from the CVS and I can't remember the name of it) that sells all kinds of stainless hardware.
You'll need both flat washers and lock washers.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Stu Jackson

Steve's right, most good sized hardware stores (my favorite "lower-than-marine-store-costs" marine stores!!!) have a section with stainless steel hardware, mine is tucked away in a little corner and the SS stuff is in thin drawers.  Look around or ask for them by name! :D  They may not have nuts as large as are required for your keel bolts, though.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Susan : The only place that I was able to find a 1 1/8"  4 " deep socket was at Snap On tools.
Ron, Apache #788

BillG

Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Susan Ray

Thanks Ron and Bill...I will try my local Sears, only 1 block away. Mahalo
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii