heat exchanger gaskets on m-25xpb

Previous topic - Next topic

mervdog

My heat exchanger was leaking and I ordered new gaskets from Torrensen. Although the part number matched the gaskets were half the thickness of the original. I had to use two together to get it to seal. The new gaskets did not look like the old. Has anyone had this problem

Roland Gendreau

No one has responded to this one, but I have some information that might be of interest.

I recently removed the end caps of the 3 inch heat exchanger to check for debris. I then wanted to replace the old neoprene gaskets.  Torrensen does not list the gaskets, only the caps and gaskets.

I contacted Sendure and they also offer only the caps and gaskets together for about $35 each plus shipping.

Since my end caps are in very good shape, i wanted to replace only the neoprene gaskets and bolt orings.

I contacted Lenco Coolers (http://www.lencocoolers.com/)  , whom I had dealt with before when I upgraded my C30 heat exchanger from a 2 inch to a 3 inch unit.

Lenco mailed me a pair of new neoprene gaskets and o rings for less than $5.

They told me to just send them a check.

Nice folks.

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Stu Jackson

Torrenson is notoriously overpriced.  Used Sendure.  Phone # and info previously posted here on the MB - search on the name should be easy.  I bougth some for a friend in Canada and smuggled them across the border for him.  No problemo - whoops, wrong border! 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

There is nothing high tech about making gaskets.  I make my own out of some scrap rubber roof material I picked up when then reroofed my office building, but a thick piece of inner tube should also work.  O rings are available at any hardware store.  In the worst case, a thick bead of liquid gasket should also work.  Like rebedding, apply, let it set up with light pressure then tighten fully the next day.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

You can get Sem-Dure parts by calling Glen Mar Marine (800)282-0123. 
The HX on the M25XPB is the same diameter 3" as the XPA - it's just longer.   
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Roland Gendreau

Not to be repetitive, Sendure does not sell the gaskets separately from the end caps.  So if your end caps are fine and you'd prefer to pay $5 for new gaskets rather then $34 for end caps and gaskets, contact Lenco Coolers as mentioned in my posting above.

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Stu Jackson

Thanks, Roland, just tryin' to provide the source.

Ron Hill

Roland is probably correct that some places will only sell the entire HX - kit that includes the end cap.  However, I've purchased just the gaskets from Glen Mar marine. 
Ron, Apache #788