VC-17 Touch up & Spring Launch Questions

Previous topic - Next topic

horsemel

I have had no problem with the roller filtering out the copper from the VC17.
Mark Mueller
Blue Moon #815
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

tonywright

Some tips from using it for many years: :D

Use electrical tape to mask the bootstripe.  It follows the curve much better than masking tape, does not allow seepage, and removes easily.

I always used the 4" disposable roller and tray. This is easy and quick.

VC sells a thinner. Add a little to the tray when it starts to evaporate: it will make the product go further. A lot further! Best is a windless day, not too hot.  The copper powder quickly blows everywhere when you try to pour it in the can. Heat makes it evaporate fast.

You can paint and splash minutes later: it dries quickly.

Don't get any on the depth sounder transducer: the copper will mess it up. 

Wear old clothes/shoes: best is a tyvek coverall, rubber gloves, a hat etc. you will wear a lot of it.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

RV61

I used to paint the entire bottom every spring with VC17 until I read somewhere and cannot remember where  that I may not need to it was probably here somewhere. They mentioned taking a fine grit sand paper and slightly roughing the surface and if the copper color came back no need to paint. So last spring I did just that and only painted worn areas and about foot around the water line. When we hauled out in the fall there no more or less slim on the bottom.
On the wax side of things I use a Mikita variable up to 3000 RPM rotary buffer with a 3m compounding buff pad. I clean the hull with simple green. Then use Meguire's one step cleaner wax for light oxidation. I put a small trail on the buff pad then at lowest speed apply to the boat once evenly spread out I kick it to 3000RPM and buff out. Thru trial I used the Meguires heavy duty cleaner wax and it was more difficult to take remove however it is handy for some deeper scratches or marks. I also tried putting the wax on the boat by hand that method put to much on the boat and was hard to take off. One last thing is it does work best in the shade or a cloudy day. I have used this method for five seasons and every year the hull comes out just a bit better that the year before.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

mdistel

Painted the bottom with VC-17 original on Saturday. It took 1.2 cans after using about 10% VC17 thinner. Do you think the extra VC-17 will be good next year?

Mark

Phil Spicer

Keep it until next year & try .....I have kept it for the next season. The copper may settle out & harden so shake it every month, keep it air tight. Try a smaller container so you can reduce the amount of air in the can. If some of the copper settles & hardens, the thinner may help to soften it before you paint next year.
At our marina our "chem expert" said the vc thinner is 95% alcohol, so a lot of sailors here thin with isopropyl alcohol. Seems to work. Goes farther & does not change how it works. 
I have used VC17 for 20 years. At first the can said to use acetone to thin. After interlux took over, an interlux thinner came out at about $20 a can. Most of us kept on using acetone. Now we use alcohol, per our "chem experts" advice.
The best thing about VC is the lack of builb-up. I have had my 34 for 15 years. Took off the crud the PO  had put on, did the VC tar & VC17 & have NEVER had to sand or scrape the bottom. Just paint or touch up as needed. Some people use 2 colors like blue over red. As the blue gets thin you can see the red in the thin spots & you know where to paint. The racers buff the VC with burlap so they can go faster. This or a very fine sanding will bring back the copper color of year old VC paint & you can get another year.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

mdistel

Thanks for the advice Phil. I'll see you on the bay soon. I'm over at Sandusky Harbor Marina.

Mark

Phil Spicer

Mark, I am going to Deep Water Marina in the morning to pull the cover. What a late start this year. Nothing but high wind,rain & cold. We had snow & sleet yesterday. Better days are coming !
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

steve stoneback

Last year I completely redid the bottom.  I removed many coats of soft flaking paint and applied a barrier coat (interprotect 2000)  and 2 coats of vc-17.  I am going to apply a complete additional coat of vc-17 this year.  I have read on this MB and in the product info that you can launch within a half hour after painting.  Here is my question.  Is there a maximum time I can wait until launch?  The reason I ask is there is another guy who uses vc-17 that says you have to launch within 24 hours after applying vc-17.  I can't find that in writing anywhere..... which makes be believe it is BS.  Anyone know for sure?
Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Ken Heyman

Steve,

I'm launching tomorrow-----my vc17 has been on for about a week. Some folks repainted last fall so their vc 17 has been on for about 6 mos. some folks only apply vc 17 every three yrs on the theory that the copper is still there when they lightly abrade their hull. There may be some info on the can, One thing i am certain of however : you do not have to launch within 24 hours!
!

good luck,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

steve stoneback

Thanks Ken,

That is pretty much what I thought.  I should have known the info wasn't true, it was from a Hunter 34 owner.

Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

tonywright

I second that. I think that some racers believe that it works better if launched quickly. Not sure that there is any evidence to back this up, unless you sail the race within 24 hours after launch?  :D

Below is a link that you might appreciate. We launched 90 boats at our club last Saturday, including Vagabond. A clearly talented photographer at our club has posted some great shots on Flickr. In the link you will see some of the many volunteers (everone in a hard hat is a volunteer) that make it possible to safely launch 90 boats in 6 hours, with the assistance of 2 mobile cranes (only the crane drivers get paid for this job). You will see that many of the boats have fresh VC17 coating: most were painted 2 or three weeks ago. Vagabond is pictured, as is at least one other C34.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cooriedoon/sets/72157617576213139/

Tony
Tony Wright

steve stoneback

Tony,
Great pictures. A little off topic of vc-17..... but your operation is considerably different than we launch.  I am one of the few 34 owners who launch and haul with a trailer, not because we want to, we just don't have another option.   
Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

tonywright

I know, but there are lots of VC17 painted hulls in the photo, and every boat has been carefully polished...The photos were so good, I had to share.

That must be some trailer to support 16,000 lb?  What do you tow it with?

Tony
Tony Wright

Jack Hutteball

I am going to show my ignorance here, what is VC-17?
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

tonywright

Jack: VC-17M is a  product made by InterLux with Teflon and copper. Use by racers in freshwater and anywhere relatively low fouling is expected.

Tony
Tony Wright