Sherwood water pump & Rebuilding a Water Pump LINK

Previous topic - Next topic

Momentum M

Thanks for the comments guys...and Stu just to reassure you that the belt was secured AFTER the pictures were taken.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Tom Glennon

my 87 M25XP has the old style sherwood pump, and although it was "rebuilt" a year ago, I still had weeping issues last season.
I would just as soon replace it... so what is the recommended replacement? The old has a 4-bolt attachment... from the pics of the newer one... doest appear it would be a direct swap out.

Would love to hear what others have done.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Michael Shaner

Well, at a minimum, there are at least two "old sherwood"s left on the planet... :D

On second thought, the existence of your sherwood may be devaluing mine...  :think

Tom, did you personally rebuild it? I just received all the components to refresh the little guy...restore it to it's former glory, if you will. I ordered everything but the cover, shaft and housing...hope it isn't a lost cause...

Michael & Alison Shaner

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Tom Glennon on March 30, 2009, 01:57:57 PMI would just as soon replace it... so what is the recommended replacement? The old has a 4-bolt attachment... from the pics of the newer one... doest appear it would be a direct swap out.

Tom, the Oberdorfer is a straight swap.   Oberdorfer Model 202 M-15

Also look up DEPCO on this board for a source.  many discussions on Oberdorfer, Depco and Sherwood.  The advantage is that the Oberdorfer is serviced easily from the front, although ken Juul has reported that he has no trouble with his Sherwood access.

Rarely do the bodies of the pumps go bad, but rather the seals and bushings which make it weep which is the warning to replace them.

Redoing the seals by a yard is almost as expensive as replacing the whole pump!  If you learn to DIY, it's a no brainer: keep the pump and repair the guts.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Glennon

Thanks Stu.

I did have all the components but not a press for the "cup seals" so had a yard do it.

They were expensive, and in hind sight, I should have done it myself!
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Tom Glennon on March 31, 2009, 11:56:12 AM...and in hind sight, I should have done it myself!
Tom,

Me, too!  :D  Calder has a good description of how to do it.  He used deep well sockets.

Maine Sail also provided a good visual description of this on co.com, "Rebuilding a Water Pump" here:  http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=106156
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Michael Shaner

Michael & Alison Shaner

Ken Juul

normally the hardest to replace part is the shaft.  If your shaft is still in good shape, the rebuild should be straight forward.  Mine was shot, visable wear just using straight edge.  Bought a new one, old one finally went in the trash after sitting on the corner of the work bench for about a year.  Couldn't figure out any McGiver uses for it :?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Fou Du Large

I have the same on my M-25
This is a Sherwood pump.

The impeller kit Sherwood 10077K is what you need but i tell it by memory.
'm actualy in Florida but come back in Quebec Ca. next week.
I will verify the kit no. as soon as possible. BUT I'M PRETT SHURE i gave you the wright no.
Martial
C-34  1986 
No-58
'' OCEANE ''

Fou Du Large

Be very carefull when you remove the impeller...
D'ONT PULL the shaft...  Otherwise you will must remove the pump completely to replace the pin (inside) coupling.

There is a little snap ring to retain the impeller.
You remove this snap-ring and push with a screwdriver on the end of the swaft and pull the impeller with pliers.

Excuse my english........
Martial
C-34  1986 
No-58
'' OCEANE ''

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Fou Du Large on April 02, 2009, 06:13:44 AM
Be very carefull when you remove the impeller...D'ONT PULL the shaft...  Otherwise you will must remove the pump completely to replace the pin (inside) coupling.

This has been an "urban myth" with some limited justification for many years.  The very, very, very early engines?/pumps? reportedly had a shaft with an indent in it.  If so, this "don't pull it" concept is true.  Ya just don't know until ya pull it.

However, all the rest of the time, over 99% or more, the newer pumps had a male shaped type fitting at the end of the pump shaft, and there is no reason it cannot be removed and replaced without pump removal.  It fits right back into the engine, 100% of the time.

How do you know?  You worry like I did and the first time when trying to take the ring off the impeller while the shaft is still in the pump in the engine, the shaft slipped out of the pump and engine!  I didn't have a choice.

If your PO left you a spare shaft you could look, too.

The Oberdorfer pump shows part #7 with the slight protrusion (male end) towards the pump.  See: http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/catalogs/catalog_group.php?owner=mdd&page_ident=200142-57&model=M-25%20/%20M-25XP%20/%20M-25XPA&manufacturer=Universal&title=Orberdorfer%20Water%20Pump&quant_position=&catalog=200142&printparts=200142&printservice=200151&printoperators=200157&comment1=

I remove the shaft all the time when doing maintenance to check the shaft and replace the impeller.

If you have a specific engine serial number (or boat # - which must be very, very low) where this occurred, please let us know, because it's not the pumps or else different pumps and different pump manufacturers all wouldn't work in our similar engines.

Let's hear from you.

Michael Shaner

QuoteYa just don't know until ya pull it...

Well, I pulled it...and it was a totally harmless experience. "Ye Old Sherwood" has been restored to all of it's former prowess. Just a small contribution of 76 bones preserved a bit of maritime history...truly a selfless act.  :D

ps. If it gives up on me in short order, donations for one of those shiny new Sherwoods will be graciously accepted!  :shock:
Michael & Alison Shaner

Ron Hill

Guys : I just installed a new M25XPB with a new model Sherwood #G908 raw water pump.  I really pumps more water than the Oberdoffer!!

BTW, I also routed the raw water inlet hose so the drive belt in NOT captive by any water hoses and can be easily changed.  Same set up could be for the M35B engine. 
Watch the Mainsheet for a Tech Note article and pictures - coming soon!!  :clap   
Ron, Apache #788

Michael Shaner

Michael & Alison Shaner

Ron Hill

Michael : Sure did!! 
I'm still in the engine break-in mode, but IMPRESSED with the way it moves the boat thru the water. 
Ron, Apache #788