6 V batteries & A Link to Good DC Systems Primer

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Stu,
In thinking more about the 6v v 12v issue, I realise I replace one 12 v with two 6v in series. How would I connect the 6v to the bank from the power switch? Would I run both -/+ to one side of the selector (i.e. both positives to battery 1 and bothe negatives like wise? Now I have the 12v + to one side and - to ground. As they are parallel, no issue with one cable.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Jon Schneider

Lance, I'm not sure I'm really following your question, so Stu and others will probably do a better job answering, but you never connect both the pos and neg to the selector switch.  The selector switch interrupts the positive line only.  So, you would take the one pos cable from Stu's schematic and run that to the either the number one or two position on the selector switch (whichever one wasn't be used).  You would run the neg cable from Stu's schematic to a negative post on your standard 12V bank if that post also served as a conduit to the engine ground (it's likely to go to a bus strip behind your panel with a branch off that bus to the engine as a ground).  Simple as that.  Oh, except don't forget to fuse the positives near the batteries. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Lance Jones

That's basically what I was saying. However, since they are now in series (Assuming I've replaced two 12v with two x 2 6v), would I take the + lead for BOTH 6v on that bank to that banks respective post on the switch?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Lance, please go back and read the link I provided in Reply (Lucky) #13, this one:  http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm.  Try the text, too.

Not only does it have the same picture I posted, but below it shows more than a single battery arrangement comparing 12V and 6V banks.

Jon's right only the + go to the switch.  And only the + from each individual BANK.

Again, in your mind, stop thinking about the individual 6V batteries, and think of each pair of them as a 12V battery, and draw the wiring diagrams before you do anything.  Draw what you have now, and then draw what the new setup would be.  Then you can scan them in and post them here and we'd be more than glad to comment.

Also check out the wiki stories about electrical systems, "Electrical Panel, Wiring & Lighting," like this one which shows wiring for (4) 6V batteries in a single large house bank scroll down the article (and read it), to Wiring Revisions and there's a complete wiring diagram showing what you are asking about: http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Catalina_34_Electrical_System_Upgrade
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

Stu,
Thanks! That was the Paul Harvey, "Now for the rest of the story" moment. Fully understand now. Well, at least until after lunch. Then with it being St. Patty's and me playing a gig tonight, I may not remember anything past 2130hrs!!!!!

Remember, there are only two types of people on St. Patty's day -- the Irish and the ones what drives them home! 8) :party
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622