Dutchman System Grommets

Previous topic - Next topic

c34no1471

This question might just be too trivial for this forum, but I haven't been able to get an answer anywhere else.  One of the grommets of my Dutchman system came off as I was removing the mainsail last fall.  Obviously, I need to reattach it.  I'm slightly concerned about using the wrong adhesive, something that might damage the Dacron.  Does it matter?  Any suggestions?

George Alberts
Breezing Up, #1471
George Alberts
Breezing Up, Catalina 34 MKII
Hull No. 1471
Chesapeake Bay

Steve Sayian

I don't have an answer for the grommet question, however two years ago I broke one of the monofilament lines that run from the boom to the top of the adjustable line.
I went to the local fishing store and bought a package of 400 pound test monofilament line (that was the same diameter as the original line), cut it and installed it and it's worked fine.  Since then, several other boats that have the system have used the same line as a replacement.

I paid $30.00 for 100 yards of the stuff.

Just wanted to add that if anyone has aging lines.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

c34no1471

I had to replace the Dutchman lines a few years ago, and ended up doing exactly the same thing.  I got 400 pound nylon monofilament line at the Outdoor World megastore nearby.  I read somewhere that UV protection might be an issue...don't know if the fishing line is UV protected, but it is relatively easy and certainly cheap to replace it as I did.
George Alberts
Breezing Up, Catalina 34 MKII
Hull No. 1471
Chesapeake Bay

Roc

For the adhesive, I would call Dutchman and ask and if you can't get an answer from them, I would think a reputable sail loft might direct you.  About the filament lines, if you have the instruction manual, on the last page it says if you read the whole manual, then just tell them you did and they will give you the lines for free.  At the last boat show, I went to the booth and told them I read the whole manual, and they gave me new filament lines.  The fellow laughed at me because it was just after the show opened that day and I wasn't the first one to ask him that.  I suppose they get many people asking for their free lines at the show.  "If all else fails, read the instructions"  :thumb:
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD