Heating cabins

Previous topic - Next topic

hdevera

I'm thinking a installing a forced air diesel heater such as made by Wabasto or Espar.  I'd like to hear if others have installed these and where they were mounted.

I have a late model MKII and was thinking of placing the furnace in the forward end of the port cockpit locker.  The air inlet could come from the cockpit and the heated air could then go to the aft cabin and forward to the main cabin.  Any thoughts/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Jentine

I installed a Espar when the boat was new in 1992.  It has proven to be the best addition to the boat so far.  I mounted it in the lazarette and ran the ducting along the port side to each of the cabins.  The supply air is drawn from the bilge/lazarette.  I have had no problems in the 10 years since installation.  
Jim Kane :)

Fulvio

I have a Webasto HL32D from 1995, installed pretty much like you have in mind:  the heater is in the port cockpit locker (aft end), the combustion air intake is in the cockpit, the supply air intake is in the head, and the warm air duct has three outlets - aft cabin, main cabin under nav station, main cabin from forward end port settee locker.

The supply air intake used to be in the aft bulkhead of the aft cabin, but I moved it to the head for three reasons:  1) noise, 2) lint, 3) the head is much cooler, so the heater won't overheat.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

cholder

I have a C34 Mk1 with an Espar D5L installed in the port side of the lazarette.  

The exhaust is vented on the port side, about a foot down from the rubrail, within inches of the transon.  That location is prefered because it isn't exposed to sea water when the boat is heeled.  

The heated air duct is routed over the fuel tank, below/behind the head seat, below the nav table, close to the hull, then through the behind seat storage to the forward cabin.  Vents are located in the aft cabin, the head, the base of the storage cupboard aft of the nav table and below the port side chest of drawers in the forward cabin.

I've had the heater for nearly ten years and it's worked well in the coastal areas of British Columbia.

Paul Bosquet

Just had a Webasto Air Top 3500 installed 2 weeks ago. After the installation of a full enclosure, this had to be the cherry on the cake. Brought the boat down from winter storage to Lake Champlain this weekend, it was cold / damp 40 to 55 and rainy. We had the system running for 3 days and 3 nights, I really made a lot of point with my Admiral, she  only complained a couple of times that is was too warm, never heard her say that before !!!!!!! I strongly recommend this system to anyone living up north and wants to stretch the already short sailing season.
If anyone is interested, the guy that sold/ installed my unit sometimes has used one with very little hours on them.That's what I got
My install is very similar to the above installation.

Paul
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

jpaulroberts

Paul,
I might be interested in contacting your guy about that heater. I'm ready to join the hot air club. I assume all of these units also make hot water for showers without running the engine?
Jerry

Paul Bosquet

Jerry
my guy does not speak English so I Will help him out with any need. We spoke and will come up with some figures and of course some needed recommendation about installing the system. By the way my system is a forced air system but hot water systems are also available.
Paul
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Ron Hill

Guys : Right now I'm at anchor and the outside air temp is in the upper 50s and the water temp is 61.
I fired up my Colman "Black Cat" propane heater and the inside cabin temperature is 72!!  :clap
Ron, Apache #788

Ray & Sandy Erps

A little off topic, but I'm interested in how Ron checks the website regularly while on vacation?

It reminds me of the story of a guy ship wrecked on an Island.  He's barely getting by.  He walks to the other side of the Island and finds a ship wrecked woman.  She's been there for years but has managed quite well with several ingenious inventions she has made.  She pours him a tall drink made of home made alcohol mixed with local fruit juice, cooled down with ice from an ice machine she made and tells the man she has something he has been missing.  He says "you can get email here?"
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA