fuel cap Stainless

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Jack : My screws didn't back out and fall into the tank. 
The screws for the flange should have had some caulk on them so they stayed put and made them water tight.  I also removed the screw to the chain and replaced it with a small bolt and a self locking nut. 
Ron, Apache #788

Bobg

Thank you everyone, going to the boat tomorrow, will check on it, for now I will probably just buy the plastic cap for now with a next summer project for the SS fill.  SS fill just makes me feel better,   Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

joe

i bought plastic catalina caps a couple of years ago. they are ugly. as the sun hits them the garish colors begin to fade and then become really ugly. the upside is that you don't have to worry about anyone stealing them.
joe hamilton;  1988 catalina hull # 792; fresh water inland lake; "march hare"

Stu Jackson

When they fade, just buy small cans of spray on paint, red & blue (& black) and paint 'em.  Very easy.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys, Susan & d : Its not the fading that the problem !!!!!!
Ron, Apache #788

tonywright

Hi Jim of Shamrock

I assumed (silly me) that your 2001 would have the same size filler cap as my 2003, so I found a place that stocked a Seachoice 32551, and ordered it. It is for a 1.5 inch fill. My 2003 uses 2" fills.  Anyone need a 1.5" stainless cap?

Being in Florida this week, I went to West Marine, and found a 2"  stainless replacement cap for $23.99 (model 243586) . Strangely this is only $6 less than the cost of the whole assembly. Hoping this will give me a spare cap when I get home. Bought some spare O rings at the same time.

Tony

Update: Confirmed the West Marine part number above is a perfect fit for my MKII

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Jim Hardesty

Tony,
Sounds like they just buy a box or two of deck fills, use them up, then buy another box that may or may not be the same.  Guess I'll be carefull when I buy the odds and ends, just because its on one boat doesn't mean that it's on another.
Sorry for the mix up.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Bobg

Just received my plastic caps from catalina direct, $44.95 which included shipping, for 2 of them seems like a lot of money for 2 chunks of plastic, this summer I am going to really work at getting the one that went overboard in my slip.  "there's 22 bucks 8 feet down in the mud and sticks"
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands