spring starter

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

For emergency situations, has anyone looked into one of the  spring starters for their engine?  just curious as there is little do boat wise during the winter but ask questions.  It looks like a good thing to have if you can get one to fit, how else can you start your engine with zero battery power, I know you need power for the glow plugs, but in a pinch you could "fog" the compartment with starting fluid.  I have never seen this topic on a spring starter come up and thought I would ask.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Jon Schneider

I'm not sure what a spring starter is, but why wouldn't you just get one of those portable emergency starting batteries?  Pretty simple solution.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

Just install a quality electrical system and you won't ever have to deal with these gizmos.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sail4dale

For about $50 bucks you can have this engine starter that can be recharged if needed when you are running the engine through the cigarette lighter plug or from an AC outlet when tied into shore power.   It weighs less than 25 lbs. and also has an inverter, air compressor and trouble light.(say cockpit light)

No special charging circuits, switches, etc.   :clap

I've have a Coleman that I bought at Costco and have used it for 3 years.  (used it twice to start when the batteries in the boat were failing).  I keep it under the dinette seat when not in use.  I also experimented with its capacity and started the engine four times without even seeing a weakening power in the charger.

With the success I've had I don't even consider installing a starter battery circuit..
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Jon Schneider

Quote from: sail4dale on February 17, 2009, 10:50:10 PM
I've have a Coleman that I bought at Costco and have used it for 3 years.... I also experimented with its capacity and started the engine four times without even seeing a weakening power in the charger.

I'm curious... how did you run this test scenario, with your regular batteries completely disconnected?
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Maybe Bob is talking about some sort of a manual crank starter. Is this feasable?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

sail4dale

Yes I disconnected the in house batter bank entirely and used the quick clamps on the battery cable.   The aux power also powered the glow plugs for the 5 seconds I usually do for a cold start.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Jon Schneider

Quote from: sail4dale on February 18, 2009, 09:39:57 AM
Yes I disconnected the in house batter bank entirely and used the quick clamps on the battery cable.   The aux power also powered the glow plugs for the 5 seconds I usually do for a cold start.

Wow, that's pretty impressive performance. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Bobg

Yes, I am talking about a manual starter, I know most of the ins and outs of battery starting, (battery pack dedicated starting battery, ways to charge your batterys, sun, wind on board generator, ect.) I am talking about a starter that can bolt right up to where your starter is now, as a replacement in case you are out there and starter burns out, or all attempts of battery has failed, sort of like on a real long cruise.  They cost about $150.00 and are wound with a pull rope until the spring has enough tension to engage and turn the engine over.  According to  one of the web sites, there is one made for just about any diesel engine.  Just wondering if anyone has seen or contemplated this, (as a spare for a offshore cruise or whatever)  maybe not enough room in our engine compartment to pull the winding rope. Here is one of the web sites:    www.springstarter.com/   Sorry I don't know how to make it clickable    Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Jon Schneider

Bob, couldn't you just sail the boat up to the top of wave and then, as it slides downhill, pop it into gear to start the engine :)  It always worked on my '62 Fiat (substituting a hill for a wave).
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Ken Juul

I have not seen the spring starter.  I have used a crank to get an older 2 cyl (don't know the make) going.  It had a toothed collar on the forward end of the crankshaft.  Hold the compression release, start cranking.  After a revolution or two to suck air/fuel into the cylinders, release the compression lever.  Engine usually started right up.  The tooth design of the collar would disengage the handle to prevent injuries.  I think there is enough room to use a similar system if they can still be found.

Bob, to insert a link use the third button from the left on the bottom row of buttons on the reply screen.  Looks like a globe. Place your www.???? address  between the (url) (/url) brackets.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Bobg

Jon, did the same thing with my old dodge, always parked on a hill while in high school,  Thanks for the info on inserting a link Ken.
I do think the spring starter has merit on a long passage, probably not the way I cruise. Or maybe not in our boat configurations with all the ample battery power we all seem to have.  I do think it would work if need be though.    This forum seems to have covered every other contingency,  Just wondering if anyone through the years has checked this out   Bob