C34 Production & Rumors

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

This is in addition to these threads about C34 production and prescence at recent boat shows:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4771.0.html,and http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4588.0.html (reply #35).

In lieu of perhaps making assumptions about the production of C34s now that the factory has moved to Florida, I received this from Jim Moe, our former Associate Editor:

...we stopped at the Chicago Strictly Sail boat show.  I had a long talk with Sharon Day about C34s...  Though they did move the C34 to Florida they have not put it into production yet because of the economy.  What happens in the next six months will determine whether it will be put into production or not.

It seems input from one of the owners of Catalina Yachts is always helpful.

My own assumption is also that the new C445 will be taking up a lot of the factory's time for the near future.  Remember, that's my input, without any confirmation from the people who really know:  Frank, Gerry and Sharon.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Schneider

I think they've already decided since they took our model off the CY website.  If they wanted to maintain interest, the least they would do is maintain the model's presence on the site.  In fact, I think it's a disservice to their brokers who may still have a few in stock that there is no longer any official information available.  Or perhaps they've unloaded the last of them, and that's why they waited until now to de-commission it.  It's a self-fulfilling prophesy: no promotion, no sales; no sales, no production; no production, too high a cost to re-start production....  There would have to be a cry from the dealers and the public to turn this ship around, and unless the C34 became a "value play" (i.e., super low cost, yet still a healthy margin for dealers and CY alike), I doubt that will happen. 

I keep wondering why CY doesn't have a daysailer.  I'd like to see them use the old S&S-designed C38 hull, because it's so beautiful, but it may not be practical anymore.  They could just easily use the C34 mold (or I suppose the C36 mold), expand the cockpit and simplify a smaller interior so they could sell a $125k (in my dreams) daysailer.  That could be the base price, and then they could enhance their margins by offering options such as electric winches, below-deck AP, boom furling main, etc.  Rig it like Alerion with a tall mast, oversized main, and self-tending jib.  Of course, there probably isn't a market for anything these days, but I think something like that could find its place when/if the market turns around.  If anyone could make a great, economical daysailer for the rest of us, CY could. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Guys : The main reason that the C30 went out of production was that there were over 5000+ used hulls out there and new production couldn't compete with that used boat market.  I believe that the C34/ C36 fell into the same category.
Jon, I hope your C34 hull day sailer has a hell of a lot more ballast (than the present C34) to compensate for the loss the weight of the large water tanks/ fuel tank /and engine. 
A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Ron Hill on February 08, 2009, 06:28:45 PM
Jon, I hope your C34 hull day sailer has a hell of a lot more ballast (than the present C34) to compensate for the loss the weight of the large water tanks/ fuel tank /and engine. 
A few thoughts.

Ron, I wouldn't expect "my" Catalina daysailer to necessarily have a smaller engine or less fuel; probably the opposite.  It would need more ballast, however. due to my recommendation of the Alerion-like ultra high-aspect rig with increased upper roach.  Or maybe not.  I'm no naval architect, but presumably rig, hull, and keel get balanced for each other rather than around varying amounts of consumables (i.e., water and fuel). 

You're exactly right about the used market competing with new boats of the same model.  It's a lesson Detroit learned in the '20s (yes, they'd be doing even worse without new model years despite the only marginal differences from year to year).  Given the significantly lower volume in boat manufacturing and the greater degree of difficulty in contorting fiberglass versus bending sheet metal, it seems much more difficult to play the "new model year" in the yacht industry, which is why, I guess, they change models every 20 years ;)
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Jack Hutteball

What is really great is that we now have "Classic Plastic," and I would not trade mine for any of the newer models out there.  The 34's have better lines than all the new models.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

waterdog

Spent a few days at the boat show this year, and there were suprisingly few boats that I would trade for now.   Foster was keen to go for the Lagoon 44 catamaran, but I explained we would have to sell the house and him to get it.   Of course I might be emotionally committed to Blackdragon now.   I just bought 14 yards of upholstery fabric, 2 fiberglass propane bottles, a 20 kg Rocna, a watermaker, an 18 inch Garmin radar, and the X5 autopilot...   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Hawk

Steve,
I was talking to Stuart today and out of the blue he mentioned a guy down at the marina planning to sail his C34 to Mexico.............

Tom
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

waterdog

Yep.  Stewart is doing my standing rigging next week.  Did he use adjectives like "crazy" or "whacko"?   I told him I lost my job and he got kind of sad and sorry and thought he was going to lose the rigging job.   I had to smack him about the head and explain it was good news and that we would definitely be going ahead now.  I think he thinks I'm crazy.  Bet he asks for a cheque before he starts.  Nice guy.   He's going to let me paint the mast in his shop. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Hawk

Great guy and knows his stuff................and he only said nice things!

I'll stop by to look at your new gear...like to inspect the new auto-helm.................
Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35