small fan for ice box

Previous topic - Next topic

iwillmott

has anyone ever tried putting a small fan in their ice box to cool the top of the space. I saw a pice on that somewhere using a small fan using aa batteries but can't find it.

Jon Schneider

Yes.  I've got the one on the left (http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-refrigerators/rv-refrigerator-fan.htm).  I don't really know if it helps all that much, but I like to believe that it does.  I put it on the bottom rack so that it will lift up the cold air at the bottom, but won't slide around or get wet if it were on the very bottom of the fridge.  Takes two double-D cells, which last about three or four weeks running continuously. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Jim Hardesty

Jon,
A fan sounds like a great addition, I"ll order one monday.  Does it help with the frost over?  On my referatior todo list is to fix the top seal (the top doesn't match the cutout depth), and try to check the insulation by using a noncontact infared thermometer.  Any other suggestions?
Thinking about enjoying cold drinks now shows real optimisum.  I was just down to the Yacht Club, the snow is over the boot stripe.  Ice fishing huts are all over the bay.  And looks like the entire Lake Erie is frozen over.  And more snow is forcast for 5 of the next 7 days.  Well, the summers are nice.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Shamrock on February 01, 2009, 11:46:30 AM
Does it help with the frost over? 

Come to think of it, I think it does.  I've been using it for a couple of years now, and I seem to have less frost than in the days prior.  I wonder if the fan could be the reason why?  I may also have set the fridge a little warmer, but I'm not sure. 

BTW, a product called Reflectix (reflectixinc.com) is being discussed on the C36 list (yes, I'm promiscuous) regarding insulation.  Here's what's being said:
QuoteI used reflectix instead, 2 layers, just stuck on with heady duty double-sided tape.  Having a thin air layer between the reflectix and the wall, also helps. SO you could get fancier and have a 1/4 inch wooden frame under the lid and then tape the reflectix there.  I used a infrared thermometer to measure the temperature of the lid both with the original insulation, and with  the reflectix. The amount of insulation was slightly better with reflectix.  I.e. at 80 degrees room temperature, the top of the fridge was reading 72 degrees with reflextix, and 69 with the original insulation, whereas normal counters were reading close to 80.  I noticed that the cracks on the corners were colder, so I decided to cut a small blanket out of reflectix, and put it on top of the cover when not used for cooking etc.  That gave us another layer of insulation and prevented the heat loss from the corners and edges of the lid.

Ahmet
"Waterdancer", 1990 Irwin 43 MKIII
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Those fans are available at camping and RV parts stores like Camping World but I've never used one however I have found alot of stuff browsing around these type stores that supply camping equipment that works great for boating as well, usually at a cheaper price. You can also get some good ideas from our RV and Motorhome brothers.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Jim : I wrote about those fridge fans in the Mainsheet tech notes over 15/18 years ago - great info in those old tech notes!!  Jon has the info correct, except I find that they'll operate on 2 D cells 24/7 for over 6 weeks before they need changing.

As for frost, the best way to combat frost on the freezer unit is to minimize the number of time you open that lid - don't let moist air IN (and don't put ice in the bottom of the fridge)!!  We keep a separate cooler for drinks, for just that reason.  Look in the old tech notes and you'll find an article about a thermal pad/blanket that can be made for the counter top above the fridge lid.  I had mine made to cover the lid and the adjacent area next to the lid.  I highly recommend it - works great and have used it for over 17+ years.  Amazing how it keep the coolness inside the fridge.  It's also easy to get under to raise the lid when you want to get inside the box.
We've also found that a layer of "pillow ice" (boat show TECHNI ICE) on the top of the freezer unit, tends to keep the cold in the freezer.  The cold that "falls out the bottom" is recirculated by the Fridge Mate fan.

There have been many many articles written on "How to help your fridge", you just need to read them. 
A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788