Water Heater Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

shanagolden

My 1986 C34 Shanagolden #212 is in desperate need of a water heater replacement. Plan on doing it soon. The original rusting hulk is a round white 6 gallon job that looks similar to the "Super Stor" model sold by Defender for $539. I noticed Catalina Direct sells a square 6 gallon model that's less than half the price. Based on the measurements, it seems like the square cheaper water heater will fit under the galley sink. Appreciate any comments on your experiences with replacement and the model used. Helping hints gladly accepted.

Jon Schneider

The one on Catalina Direct looks like my original Seaward (seawardproducts.com) installed by Catalina in 1990.  Still works fine.  Not much to say about it, and that's a good thing.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ken Juul

The square Seaward will fit in the existing space.  Watch WM for sales or use Defender.  The door and frame must be removed to get the water heaters in and out.  Not too bad a job.  Make sure you bleed the engine coolant lines that flow through the water heater well or you will overheat the engine
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Michael Shaner

Michael & Alison Shaner

ellispe

See link below for a good price.

I think this is the same as the 6 gal original ones and is made by the same manufacture and seems like a good price.  Please note, that they make a 3 GAL as well, and while smaller than the original may be easier to install.  Click on the link below or paste it into your browser. For 200.00 you can't go wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Seaward-Marine-Boat-Water-Heater-6gal-S600-Galvanized_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem390022037621QQitemZ390022037621QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Steve McGill

Daryl,

You can purchase the 6 gal square 13.6" Seaward in two different configurations.
The heat exchanger connections can be on either the front or back. This may be of great
value depending how your hoses are routed from the engine.

best of luck,

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Stu Jackson

See: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3769.0.html

Replace the hoses, too.  The connection side is not that important since there's a ton of space underneath.

The Seward 6 gallon, galvanized, is the way to go, best $$ deal compared to all others unless you want the Isotherm for superior insulation.  Don't bother with the stainless, ain't worth the $$.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

shanagolden

Thanks for the comments on water heaters. What's the best way to bleed the hoses from the engine fresh water cooling system after installing the new water heater ?

Stu Jackson

Do a search on "burp."  I wrote a thread about it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Jon Schneider

Quote from: shanagolden on January 28, 2009, 07:25:23 PM
What's the best way to bleed the hoses from the engine fresh water cooling system after installing the new water heater ?

Ron Hill wrote a great Tech Note on the subject: http://www.c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/2000_no2.pdf (no disrespect intended for Stu's "burping."
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

Ron also replied to my "burp" thread.  Jon's provided link is great, and is easily found via the Knowledgebase  (see the sticky at the top of the Message Board: The Guide to C34 Technical Stuff)  and is available to C34 IA Members.

Fuzzy

Shanagolden:   I replaced my old round 6 gal. water heater with the new Seaward square 6 ga. unit.  Worked out
real well and I think I like it better than the round one.  It was purchased through a guy in Florida, can't remember who
but the guy I talked to from Seaward gave me his name & phone # (or maybe it was his e-mail) as the best price to
purchase the unit.  Seaward cannot sell direct.
Larry.
PS - Our boat is a '87 #475, same thing as you have.
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475