INSTALLING RADAR TOWER ON 2004 MK II

Previous topic - Next topic

canuck

Has anyone completed this project on their boat? Your thoughts and sugestions would be appreciated. I am loooking to do a Raymarine C SERIES with a  18" radome. I do not want the radome on the mast or attached to the backstay. I understand Garhauer makes these towers. Any installation tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ken Juul

If you look at the Kato Marine site, on the Radar Pole page they have one installed on a 320 that could be adapted.  Here is a picture of a Garhauer engine hoist on a MkII.  You could also do something like this.

Mark and Guido at Garhauer are the experts.  They will answer questions and adapt to your needs.

Sending a PM also
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Tom Madden

i am in the process of installing a similar radar system on my 2007 34 mk II (hull # 1768).  i 've decided to go with a Seaview Modular Radar mast 8'/rail and SS strut mn  (this means two mounts to the rail and one secondary mount to the stern.)  i am going with the SeaView pole because its made of aluminum.  i decided on an adjustable base (vs. fixed) to relieve some the stress that the pole could create.  i am mounting the pole to the  starboard stern step, which i believe provides the most strength and results in the scanner being about 10' above the water.  also, just fyi, i went with the c8o display and 4kw scanner.  i hope this helps, i've received a ton of great advice from this site.

Hawk

Ken,
Your photo of the engine lifting arm is, I believe, the one built by Kato Marine rather than Garhauer. I installed the Kato arm last year. The Garhauer model loooks quite different and has 6 to 1 purchase. I chose the Kato model you pictured with the 4 to 1 upgrade as it looks great, is well made and works very well.
The Garhauer is solid no doubt,  but unless you are lifting pallets of "Canadian" beer onboard it might be over-kill. It tends to look a bit industial on our little 34s, at least to my liking.

Looks like Kato makes a nice radar pole as you mentioned.
Tom
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

ellispe

Kind sir, I saw a slick rig on the back of a Cat 309 with a pole that ties into the backkstay. I will take a picture and drop it on this site.