Water in both fuel filters

Previous topic - Next topic

kevMar

As i have written i reinsatlled the tank bled the lines and started her up... NOW the fuel guage does not work and i know there is a least 20 gals in the tank which by the way was filtered twice ..... i know there is current going to the connection on the sender unit. i did take off the ground and grouind it to the tank and no movement ... i had just replaced the sending unit last year... any ideas ??? thanks

BillG

Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Steve W10

There is much written about checking wires, so I'll assume you've exhausted all that.
When I replaced my Teleflex sending unit it lasted 3 weeks before failing.  They do have an excellent guarantee though; I think its life-time.  Unfortunately it has to go back to their factory to determine if it is a manufacturer's defect.  The place I purchased it, Genco here in Toronto was excellent.  It took some time to get the verdict from Teleflex, but when it came in they gave me a new one (they even gave me the option of putting the value towards a different brand).

I got pretty frustrated when I first bought the thing because with ohmmeter in hand, I checked the resistance at various positions and the numbers were not as advertised.  I forget exactly what they were, but I know that on the way down, at the equivalent of ¼ tank the sending unit either blocked all current, or provided no resistance (I forget which) resulting in an off-the-scale empty indication on the gauge.  I checked 2 different units at the store and they behaved identically.  Now I've just conceded that it's time to add some fuel when I'm approaching ¼ tank.

If you've already got the teak panel off, as you know, pulling the sending unit is pretty quick.  I'd just pull it out and manually move it to see what you get.  If it's not working at all, run an ohmmeter directly on the sending unit at various positions and you can easily see if it's the culprit.

Let us know what you find.

BillG

I also came across a copy of "Fuel Gauge Test Procedure" from Seaward products for Catalina yachts.
It is  a PDF i have on my computer but I can email you a copy of you need it
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Ron Hill

Guys : Part of the stuff that used to be on the our net were those fuel gage test procedures and much more.  

For what it's worth - Last month I sent (US Mail) a bunch of stuff to David (our Web Master) which included those test procedures, engine panel wiring diagrams, parts price list etc.                              
Ron, Apache #788

BillG

The test procedures that I mentioned above can be found in the tech wiki section under Fuels and then gauges.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD