Lewmar V1 Windlass on Sale!

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

Just got my Christmas present for the boat.  If anyone else is interested, it is a Lewmar V1, brand new in an unopened box.  For 5/8 line and 5/16 chain.  Windlass, motor, solenoid, switch and circuit breaker.  Mine was a total of $422 plus cents with shipping and it is one heavy chunk of stainless steel.

http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Lewmar-V1-Vertical-Windlass-W-Gypsy-F-5-16-Chain-1-p/lew6671011108-138.htm

I would say this is the best deal I've seen for a good quality windlass.  Kent from Catalina Yachts has also sent me some information on mounting a windlass, which I can forward to anyone who wants to drop me a note.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

lazybone

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Rick Johnson

Ron Hill

Rick : You have your work cut out for you.  That's a great price!!!  I've got a few things to point out and do NOT mean to be a "wet blanket or rain on your parade", but point out a few items.

You asked me in a separate Email about the size wire of #2 or #0!!!  I now know why that size wire is required.  That windlass has one hell of a power draw.  That's why it has a 90amp breaker (the V700 has a 35 amp breaker & uses #4 wire).  I'll guess why:
1.  It's a MUCH stronger motor than the V700
2.  It looks like the motor is horizontal to the vertical windlass head.  This means that the drive changes 90 degrees (requiring a gear and or universal ie. transmission) which requires more power and that's why the unit by itself (motor + head) weighs 36lbs!
3.  The vertical windlass I chose has a vertical motor connected directly to the vertical gypsy head.
4.  The V700 is self contained and all sealed from water, so the motor hanging down in the anchor well is  open and need no enclosure.  You'd better check if your V1 motor needs to be in-closed or can it be open?  Ask the question?  If it does, do you have the space in your anchorwell (built-in enclosure like Ken's) to house the motor inside and still have space on top for the head on that enclosure top.  What about the angle of pull ref. the bow roller.  You need a straight pull along to the axis of the bowroller .
5.  Remember the chain from the gypsy exit needs to fall straight down or use a chain haus (sp?)
6.  I found that the switch Lewmar provided would never survive the anchor well environment and had to get a self contained  "up" switch that would.
7.  Your V1 uses HT (G4) 5/16" chain (1lb/ft).  I opted for 1/4" HT (G4 ) chain (3/4 lb/ft).  It's less in weight so I can use more chain with out that weight decrement.

I'm not criticizing, but just pointing out to other readers that they better do the geometry before they spring for this super pricing deal.  
I screwed around for about 15 years (on&off) with a windlass installation.  Talked to Gerry Douglass and David Graas many times.  They sent me the information an the 1989 C34 anchor well and the factory windlass installation.  Quit frankly I was disappointed in the information that they sent to me.  I'm sure they must have sent better info to you.
I'll be interested in your final installation and if you need any "how did I do mine", I'll be glad to assist.  Ron
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

For those of you who are not yet familiar with Ron's installation, please see:  http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-anchor-windlass-apache.html

Once you get to Projects, Mark Elkin has provided two very informative windlass installation articles, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

Ron:  You are not "raining on my parade".  Your list is almost a perfect list of why I went with the V1 over the 700.  I talked to Lewmar again yesterday and I think I know exactly how I can mount the V1.  We will see how it turns out.  I think the information I got from Catalina is probably the same, since I was disappointed also...

Cheers,

Rick

Ron Hill

Guys & Susan : Just remember that the amount of weight that your windlass must lift is the:
1.  Weight of the anchor (nominally 35lbs) plus
2.  Weight of the road when the boat is directly over the anchor (10' to 15' of chain or about 15 lbs)

You don't break out the anchor with the windlass nor "kedge off" with the windlass.  If you happen to have a drum, then you might consider lifting someone to the top of the mast.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788