Companionway hatch Screen & Replacing standing rigging

Previous topic - Next topic

gregbin

I was on a boat over the summer and saw a screen for the companionway hatch.
The screen was simply a very pliable fabric and around the edges there was a heavy line like material sewn  in .
To install it you just throw it over the hatch ! slider open or closed.
Don't remember the gentleman's name to contact him but his was a 36 and he said he bought the screen from Catalina direct   ,But they told me that they don,t  know about this type of screen.
Does any one know where to get them?
Also I was checking the site about rigging! (I am going to replace the standing rigging)
I saw the tuning sheet in project page and
I saw about sending catalina the old and they will make new in about a week!
But I did not see any suggestions on securing the mast while waiting?
I replaced the anchor light and install tack tick (wireless) wind transducer so i was not planing pulling the stick.
are there tech. notes on the job.

Ken Juul

I'm sure it can be done, but I have never heard of leaving the mast standing while changine the rigging.  If you are going to try I would suggest using a cherry picker to remove the stays from the mast.  As you remove each, attach a temp rope stay to keep the mast in place.  I think it would be suicide to send someone up the mast to do it.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I have seen some screens similar to what you describe but they were hand made by the owner and they had chain sewn into the seam to act as a weight.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

John Sheehan

We have been using a "Bugbusters" by Sogeman screen that sounds like what you were talking about.  It has a mesh screen held down with internal lead weights around the edges and two ties up forward to attach it.  We have been very pleased with the screen having tried it in Little Shark River in the Everglades with great success under the largest organized mosquito attack I have ever experienced.  We have tried other various screening systems but this is the best for us.  Getting in and out of the cabin calls for some dexterity to keep the enemy at bay but that is true with any system.  It comes in a small plastic box so it is easy to store.  For our 34's you will need to get the larger (48" x 68") version.  West Marine 2008 catalogue on page 555 shows it. 
John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

canuck

We had a simple two part  made from Sunbrella when our 2004 was commisioned. It has two snaps at the top corners which go on the cabin slider and two at the bottom attached below the hatchway. It covers the complete hatchway (boards and metal strips)and has mosquitoe netting sewn in. This is covered by a full Sunbrella cover when the netting is not in use. When you want netting and ventilation you just roll up the outside cover and tie it to two affixed Sunbrella straps. We also put in a zipper at the bottom so you can close the two bottom snaps for a complete seal. We have used this from day one and it is a permanent fixture. It also preserves the teak hatchboards year round from the elements!  It is still in perfect shape.

Ron Hill

greg : You need to take the time and send 1/2 of the rigging to Catalina at a time.  Send the lowers.  When you receive them back and install them, then the uppers, forstay and back stay.  The mast will be happy and stay in place that way. 
A single rigger and I replaced all of my standing rigging (pin to pin) in 2 days!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

gregbin

Thanks for the source on the screen.
And thank for the input about replacing the rigging.
I just covered the boat this passed week end so I have a couple months to plan what to do.