Autopilot SmartPilot X5 or S1 Wheel Pilot

Previous topic - Next topic

mtullier

Finally breaking down to purchase an autopilot.  My choices are the new Smartpilot X5 by Raymarine or the S1 Wheelpilot (older model) that is approximately $ 70.00 cheaper.  Does anyone know the difference between the two?

Thanks,
Mike
Mike

Ken Juul

The new Smart Pilot has a rate gyro built into the course computer.  Provides much better heading input to the chart plotter and is required if you want the MARPA function of the radar to work.  The rate gyro can be retrofitted to the S1, think it was a couple hundred dollars. Waypoints can be input into the Smart Pilot so it can drive to your destination hands free. Not sure if the S1 can do that.  For the power boat guys, has some built in patterns for fishing.

Don't hold your breath, I put a Smart Pilot on order in April or May, delivery date continues to slide.  Latest guess is late in Oct.  Apparently they are having some issues with performance, don't mind the wait, would rather RM work it out than me.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

From co.com today:   "just received an Email from Defenders. The email says that the Raymarine SPX-5 wheel autopilot will not be available until December. This probably means Spring 09."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve S.

Mike:  I'll tell you one critical criteria.  - Does the new Smart pilot X5 require the installation of  a tiller sensor?  If not, then go with that.   I installed the S1 last year and while performance is OK (my old Autohelm 4000 was better), installing that tiller sensor was an enormous pain in the a@@.   I had to remove the propane locker and the rear salon panels and then slide myself down into the rear lazarette.  Once in, I was wasn't getting out and had my wife hand me the tools I needed. 
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ken Juul

The Smart pilot does not require the rudder position sensor.  That is the big reason I have been without for almost 2 seasons now.  I'll continue to wait.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

seanmcelligott

I had the same problem wth the rudder position sensor.  I actually had to limit the swing of the rudder (with pieces of wood) because the rudder position sensor only had so much play.  I bought mine in the fall of 2007, and was so mad to see the new version only months later not requiring the sensor.  Defeinely worth waiting for.  I will probably plunk down the extra 200 to upgrade if that is possible,
Sean K. McElligott
"Ringle" 1988 Hull Number 758
Black Rock, CT

Steve S.

Sean - I had to do the same thing, limit the rudder swing.  Is there an upgarde package?
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

seanmcelligott

I was basing it in what Ken said about retrofitting the s1.  I wasn;t able to find anything about this on the raymarine website. 
Sean K. McElligott
"Ringle" 1988 Hull Number 758
Black Rock, CT

mtullier

S1 Autopilot installation finally completed.  The rudder sensor was awkward to install, but no issues with the travel of the arm and no need to add rudder stops.  I made a wooden bracket that tied into the stringers from the cockpit to mount the rudder sensor.  The unit seems to be working fine.  I will post a few pics of the rudder sensor installation.

Mike
Mike

mtullier

Rudder sensor bracket
Mike