Engine Hour Meter Problem

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

My engine hour meter seems to have quit working even though the tach still works just fine. Is there a wiring issue that could allow the tach to work and not the hour meter or are they common which means that the hour meter must be bad.

Any ideas? :donno:
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Craig Illman

Stu Jackson

Mike, you may want to try here: http://www.teleflexmarine.com/gauges-us/

They should have manuals to check the wiring connections, and try troubleshooting, too.

I just found this under diesel: http://www.downloadingfiles.co.uk/teleflexfiles/gauges/Diesel%20Alternator.pdf

The alternator output for the tach is a different connection than the hour meter which goes to the ignition switch.  As a first step, check the back of the gauge to make sure the connections are "made."

Since the hour meter works whenever the ignition switch is on, you can do some troubleshooting without turning on the engine.

There's also this on a search for Teleflex:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3790.0.html  Thanks again to Dave.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Allan.SVCarina

There are two basic methods for wiring an hour meter in an electrical circuit. The most common is to wire the positive side of the meter to the "run" or "on" terminal of the ignition switch. The disadvantage to this installation is that the meter will run anytime the switch is in the "on" position, even if the engine is not running.

The preferred method is to wire the hour meter through a normally-open engine oil pressure switch. When the engine starts and the oil pressure reaches the set point of the switch, the contacts will close turning on the hour meter. This method gives a true indication of engine run time.

Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)

Ron Hill

Mike : You definitely have a Teleflex question.
You can screw around on web sites or simply pick up the telephone and talk to a Teleflex expert (941-907-1000).  I believe that you have a flat glass (vrs. domed glass) programable tack.  They should be able to help you. 
Ron, Apache #788

Ed Shankle

I've had the same problem with hour meter. Had the conversation with Telflex and their advice was to replace the whole instrument, since they don't supply the hours meter separately. Well, that fell to the bottom of my priority list, and I didn't do it. However, what I did discover, by accident of course, is that the meter was getting stuck on the 9 digit in the far right. Giving the side of the tach a rap would free it up and it would stop again the next time the 9 cycled in. Got to the point where in would cycle around for a while, but then would stop again, always on the 9. So I wonder if a little lubrication could somehow be applied to address the issue. That's where I'm at. I mess around with it again in the spring.
So try giving a rap to the side of tach and see what happens; won't cure it, but will drive your desire to tinker with it!

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Ken Juul

A common problem with older car odometers is the gears and number drums are press fit onto the shafts.  As the plastic ages it dries out and the gears may slip on the shaft.  Also sometimes a tooth on one of the gears breaks off or bends so the gears don't mesh properly.  I'd guess the same holds true for the hour meter.  I think I would carefully clean and inspect the drive mechanism.  If you think the gears are slipping a dab of fingernail polish may hold the gear in place on the shaft.  Careful cleaning of the drive gears may also help the meshing.  Lubricate carefully, too much or in the wrong place may actually make it worse.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

steve stoneback

Mike,
If you don't get your hour meter fixed let me know.  Last year I installed a complete new instrument panel and still have the old one with a working tach and hour meter. I am sure they would be the same, you have 940 and I have 918.
Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Thanks Steve, I'll Keep you in mind. How much are you asking for the tach or pannel. I was at the boat this past weekend but the weather was so nasty that I didn't get in the mood to do any troubleshooting. You can email me if you'd rather do this off line.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

steve stoneback

Mike,
I will email you off line.
Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere