Emergency tiller cover plate O-ring Mark 1.5+

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Illman

I have a drip coming through the emergency tiller cover plate. I expect that after 18 years that the o-ring has lost its effectiveness. Has anyone replaced theirs? Suggested sources other than Catalina? I might drop a note to Catalina Direct.

Craig

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

waterdog

Craig.   

These newer boats are really difficult to maintain.   I have a simpler, more reliable older version with no cover on the emergency tiller.  I'll drop it off for you and take this complicated one off your hands.   No problem.

Steve

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Craig Illman

Steve - I'm sure with a little creative work with a sawzall, you could give Black Dragon a step-thru stern too! You might need to re-engineer the backstay.

Catalina Direct said "sorry".

Stu & Rick - guess I'll try shopping around town this weekend, cover plate in hand. Although, I'm tempted to run a thin bead of clear LifeSeal around the seam. I think it'd break rather easily if I tried to unscrew the deck plate.

Just a dumb thought ........

Craig

waterdog

I was hoping, through trickery, to work my way up to a 2008 model, but it appears that nobody will fall for it.  I think Stu must be sending PMs warning other owners.  I guess I'll just have to carry on upgrading.   You're sure Craig?  Mine comes with a new paper towel roll/rolling pin combo...
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Braxton

Steve don't give up hope.   Far crazier things have happened.  You've probably already seen this but one guy managed to barter his way from a paper clip to a house:

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200604/18/eng20060418_259160.html
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Stu Jackson

Steve, no, no PMs.  I got one of the oldest boats around and I'm keepin' her!  Finally got her just the way I want things! :clap  Good try, though... 8)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

I know what you mean Stu.   I'm about half way there.   If somebody offered to swap me for a boat ten years newer I don't think I would get something with 1000 hours on the engine, all new glazing, the new inverter, water heater, chartplotter, diesel furnace, windlass, vang and smoke stains in the battery box.  I'd have to start all over again...   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Stu : I glad you got your C34 to where you want it. 
I'm still working on mine 21 years later and can still see a couple of years improvements that are needed yet!! 
Ron, Apache #788