Cockpit Shower

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

Easily our favourite upgrade of the summer.  Hot and cold running water in the cockpit.  The retractable hose goes inside the locker.   Water source taps in from tees on the supply for the sink in the head.   I chose a unit from Whale with a shut-off on the shower head and no door to accidentally step on.   The shower head plugs in securely in stowage mode. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Bobg

Wow, I really like that, the admiral is always on me to install something like that, I will look up whale and see if I can find your unit, how did you route the hoses so they aren't in the way of your locker, tape them to the side or what.  Good job, I also like your towel and soap holder, Bob on Ghostrider
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

waterdog

The shower is positioned at the far forward end of the locker.   I had in mind to put an L-shaped cross section box attached to  the forward bulkhead creating a channel for the hoses to move freely in without interference from gear in the locker.   For the summer, I just pushed some heavy object up to about 6 inches from the end.  Nothing has shifted in the locker and the hose moves freely so it hasn't stayed at the top of my to do list.   You can't tape the hose to the side or you won't be able to pull it out.   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Bobg

I'll have to see how it is configured, I am assuming 2 hoses, hot and cold go to the shower base, and the handheld has a single hose from the installed base, I was thinking the hot and cold supply hoses could be taped or somehow fastened.  Sure looks like a nice unit, how long is the shower head hose.  Thanks  Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

waterdog

For the supply hose I used right angle connectors off the shower unit that point forward and down.  From these I'm running PEX tubing.   The setup is reasonably rigid and the length is short.  These "hoses" are out of the way and I have not otherwise secured them within the locker itself.  The shower hose runs six feet or more.  Plenty of range for a shower and cockpit rinsing applications. 

I crimped PEX tees on the other end of the supply hose (just borrowed the tool at the home depot rental center) and cut them in under the sink secured with stainless hose clamps on the old supply hoses.  In truth, these PEX fittings are mystery metal and not marine fittings.  I did this on purpose because I want to know what is happening to the plumbing inside the walls of my house - a form of accelerated aging if you like.  Everything is tight and leak free.
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Michael Shaner

Very nice Steve...looks like it belongs there.
Michael & Alison Shaner

arthur

Waterdog,   You and the wife are really going to love the shower.  Our Catalina came standard with the transom shower and we used it for the first time this past Labor Day Weekend.   It was great, about 70 degrees, no wind, sky full of stars, and just the wife and me, and me in the buff, on the back of our boat taking a nice warm shower before bed.   8)