Odor through plastic fuel tank

Previous topic - Next topic

dhagen

I am getting the smell of raw diesel fuel in the cabin of the boat.  I checked all the fittings and find no leaks.  I smelled the side of the plastic fuel tank and it smells like the odor is coming right through the plastic of the tank.  I saw someone else had this problem a few years ago.  Does anyone have any advice or had a similar problem?
Dan Hagen

I have a 2001 Catalina 34 and have the smell of raw diesel in the cabin.  After checking all the fittings for leaks, it smells like the diesel has permeated the tank walls.  I saw a similar problem posted in 2005.  Anyone else have this problem or any advice?
Dan Hagen

Roc

Dan,
I have the same issue and looking at getting a metal tank, which is what Catalina puts in the later models.  Talk to Gerry Douglas about it.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

I would strongly urge you to carefully consider using a metal tank for waste.  First, it's most likely NOT the tank that's permeated; cvheck or replace your hoses and hose clamps and tank fittings.  Metal tanks with edge welds have been notorious for failure at those very welds.  You don't want a metal tank or any tank for that matter, to leak into your boat.  If you do call Gerry, ask him what material the new waste tanks are being made of, and please let us know.  Like in the movie "The Graduate" - go "plastic"...

PS added later - guess I shoulda read the post before I answered it! :cry4`  Sorry...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Stu,
I believe Dan means his fuel tank.  I agree, never use metal for waste.

dhagen

I talked to Catalina today.  They said they stopped using plastic fuel tanks in about 2002.  They said it could very well be that the diesel has permeated the plastic.  He said he wasn't aware of anything to seal the plastic and said the best thing would probably be to install a new aluminum tank.
Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Dan Hagen

Jim Hardesty

This tank odor problem is bad news.  I bought my 2001 in April and only used her half of what I normaly do, no fault of the boat.  I did notice the odor, but thought it was coming from the engine, meby thru the socalled air cleaner.  I just sprayed some deoderizer, didn't help much, if at all.  Changing a fuel tank sounds like a real pain, not even considering the money.  Has any one tried venting the tank area, sealing the aft cabin from the tank, or any thing else?  Or is the colective wisdom to just change it?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Roc

Sounds like there are more of us with this diesel tank odor.  I talked to Gerry Douglas at the show about my problem and they are prepared to sell me a metal tank at cost.  However, when the purchasing dept got back to me, cost was around $475, plus the cost to ship it!  I believe the problem starts with using a plastic tank in the first place.  It's obvious that Catalina does not use plastic anymore, for what reason, I'm not sure.  But if they put a plastic tank that can't hold the contents properly, then should they do something for the owners that are now seeing a problem?  A problem that is due to poor material selection?  I know our boats are out of warranty, but this problem didn't really show up until after a few years of use, and just keeps getting worse.  If a bunch of us have this issue, does anyone think Frank would work out something better than just selling the new metal tank at cost?  Any thoughts?

Stu Jackson

Jim - There's really no way to seal the area off, based on the way the boat is built.  If you remove the big wall (running fore and aft) you'll see.  There was a recent thread with pictures of tank removal that you can find with a search on "fuel tank". OK, OK, here it is: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4085.15.html

Roc - The C36 folks have had some success in organizing themselves as a group to discuss issues with the factory.  There are 1800 C34s, less than 700 members in the C34 IA and over 1,000 on this board.  If there is a series of hull #s that you can identify, I'd be glad to help you if you want to tackle getting the word out and organizing some group approach to the factory.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jack Hutteball

Roc, Stu,
Count me in on the fuel tank issue.  Mine is also Plastic (2001 #1555) and I can notice a smell.  It is worse after I fill the tank, but always there.  When I found out I had plastic I thought great, I would not have to worry about pinhole leaks.  There is no free lunch!

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Roc

Stu,
Looks like boats made in the '00, '01, '02 years with plastic tanks have an issue.  Like I said before, having to shell out about $500 (not even retail price but cost according Catalina) is a lot of money for a mistake of material use for the tank. 

I feel if everyone replys back with their hull numbers, we can generate a list.  My hull number is 1477.  Model year 2000

tonywright

We have a plastic fuel tank on our 2003, hull 1672. No odor (yet?) though.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ken Juul

Rather than end up with an extremely long thread I would nominate Roc as the coordinator.  If you want to get on the "smelly Plastic fuel tank" list use the link Roc's post to send him an email with year, hull number and yes/no it smells.

Roc can keep the thread updated periodically with the results. 

Roc, does this work for you?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Roc

Better idea.  Post your issue on this message board with your hull number and if your tank has diesel odor.  This way it's documented on this site.  Please don't send me an email.  I think it's best to document these things for the future.  That's the advantage of this site.  Thanks  :D

Jim Hardesty

Roc,
I am responding to the diesel odor post.  My Catalina 34 is a 2001 hull # 1570 that I purchased 8 months ago.  The aft cabin has a light but noticeable odor.  Tried a few things, venting with fans, fabric deodorizer nothing really worked.  Was going to continue to trouble shoot, but sounds like the tank is the culprit.
Thanks for doing this.  The Catalina 34 owners group is proving invaluable. I live and sail on Lake Erie and it's Hunter & Beneteau country,  there isn't even a Catalina dealer on the lake anymore  Good information  is much appreicated.

2001 hul #1570

Regards,
Jim Hardesty
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Roc

If your fuel tank has diesel odor permeating through the walls, please post your year and hull number on this thread.  With a number if hull numbers affected, this would help with contacting Catalina to see if a mutual agreement can be established.  Thanks!