Buying a C34 mk2

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutchman

Dear All,
Next sunday I cross the Channel to look for a C34 mk2 (1998).
I only have photo's from the boat and we think we will buy it.
Of course I want to measure the moisture of hull and deck.....
A couple weeks ago we almost buy a c34 mk1, but a surveyor did a moisture measurement on the deck and it was extremely high.
So he advised us not to buy. That's why we look for another C34.
So what are the important things that I have to notice for the mk2, except the moisture?
I saw a littlebit rust in the bilge, around the keelbolts.....and around bolts from the tensioners...

Could someone please advice me??

regards,
Ton Eijsermans

Stu Jackson

Tom

Good luck on your pursuit.

Our FAQ page, at the top, has a list of items when looking for a C34:  http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html

Many of the items on the FAQ page are for Mark I boats, but the systems are so similar it shouldn't make a difference.

Try this, Steve Lyle's "My First Year Weblog" -- http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=663.0

Do a search on "weblog" and find a few more - very good input from folks who have owned new-to-them boats and reflect on their first year or two of experience.

What I did in MY first year or two with our 1986 M25:

new charger (replaced old bad one, new combined inverter/charger)
new raw water pump
new style air filter
chainplate rebedding
some portlight replacement/rebedding
new alternator bracket (not required on engines later than M25)
new running rigging
cleaned out old 2 inch heat exchanger (replaced with 3 inch years later)

...and then the fun really started... :D

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dutchman

Wow, thanks Stu for this fast useful information.
I hope I can decide next sunday, because I really love the C34mk2 (wing-keel).

If someone has more issues for me, please let me know.

Regards,
Ton Eijsermans

sail4dale

We bought a 34Mk II - a 2001 model and have had it since October 2002.

Love it!!  Had a Cat30 for 18 years prior to this.

The bilge shows just like the picture but has produced no problems.  The only items that have needed service was replacing the A/C charger, one panel LED, and a @#$%@#$%#$% leak in the port window area that I can't figure its source.  The M35b engine is a dream and when I replaced the 3 blade fixed prop with a Flex-o-fold 3 blade I have been happy.

A great boat
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

John Langford

Some of the Mk IIs have had gelcoat crazing on the transom below the blower vents and on the cap rail above the rubber rub rail. It isn't structural but it is something to look out for as it could be expensive to fix if you were concerned about it. I wouldn't let it stop me from buying the boat however. I have had 6 boats (including a C320) and the MkII is by far the best of the bunch.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Steve Sayian

Ton,

My '99 MK II bilge looked just like your pictures.  I replaced the keelbolt nuts, lock washers and washers even though the rust was only on the surface.  The replacement parts were Series 316 stainless and there has been no sign of rust for the past 2 years.  I also changed the packing gland material on the propshaft and rudder stuffing boxes from the wax-impregnated packing to the Gore GFO material and now the bilge is completely dry.  I sanded and repainted the bilge area and it looks like new.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Dutchman

Dear All, 

Yesterday we went to the UK and had buy the boat !! In 2 or 3 weeks we will sail her to Holland.
Your advice was very helpful, so thank you very much for it. We found a bit moisture in the deck, but that wouldn't be a problem in the future.
I just need to rebedding all deckmounted parts to prevent it for the future.
Now this winter we update her to our wishes with new navigaitional equipment, air-heater, ect.
You will be seeing me here later I guess..... :thumb:

Regards,
Ton Eijsermans