Annapolis Show, C34 Production Continuity, LED Lights, & M35B Engine PHOTOS FLIX

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

I'm not sure "America" has voted for the C350 "over" anything else, it's just that the C350 has actually filled a niche.  My guess is it is of people who would've bought Hunters but recognized the quality of Catalina boat and hardware over the Hunter toys.  But the SPACE and LAYOUT make a BIG difference to a LOT of people.  Our read and input from those who have bought C350s is the space and HEADROOM.  One owner here (he's 6'5" and his wife is 5'-4") had a C34, bought a C350 (an early boat with what I considered to be a horrible OEM electrical system) and then moved up to a 440.  The C350s had some serious teething pains, just ask Blake DeHuff (really, a true name!) from Tahoe who spent years on co.com fighting Catalina because the stern tube and the stuffing box and the cutlass bearing are pretty integral - no strut on those boats.  Horrible vibration issues.

So, if you like the C350, by all means, have at it.  Each of us have our own desires, wants and needs, which are different from our neighbors.  Heck, though, at least it's a Catalina. :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Stu Jackson on February 03, 2009, 04:08:21 PM
I'm not sure "America" has voted for the C350 "over" anything else, it's just that the C350 has actually filled a niche.  My guess is it is of people who would've bought Hunters but recognized the quality of Catalina boat and hardware over the Hunter toys. 

Okay, maybe not "America," but the Catalina boat-buying public.  If Catalina had been selling more C34s than C350s, the C34 would be coming out with a Mk III at this point, and the C350 would fade away.  Additionally, I have to say that Hunters have vastly improved under the new design director's aegis; in fact, I would argue that they have improved far more than Catalinas have (of course, they had a lot further to go).  The ones I've seen seem well-built and smartly designed.  Not the prettiest, but not ugly anymore.   
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stephen Butler

The C350 is not my cup of tea, but one can understand CY's rationale for the model: 1) Replacing 2 models with 1, thus reducing production costs, dealer holding costs, etc., 2) Meeting a growing demand for a family-sized boat that can be used more as a weekend cottage than an offshore sailing machine, and 3) A 3 digit model designature, signalling a consistent product line that is modern/up-dated.  CY is producing a boat that is meeting the current demand and their financial needs. 

As for those "other" makes, there never is a supply without a demand, as my old my old marketing prof used to say.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

waterdog

Quote from: Jon Schneider on February 03, 2009, 05:31:58 PM
.... in fact, I would argue that they have improved far more than Catalinas have (of course, they had a lot further to go).  The ones I've seen seem well-built and smartly designed.  Not the prettiest, but not ugly anymore.   

I read this last night and it seemed like a reasonable comment.   And then on the way into the floating show I saw an abomination on a trailer.  Something like a Macgregor that was sent to the designer of farm equipment with a directive to remove any prettiness from the sheer.   It was so disgusting as to be nearly unrecognizable as a boat.   It was to boat design what the that strange looking Pontiac SUV thing of a few years back was to automotive design.   

Having said that Hunter did have some nice boats at the Vancouver show.   Catalina had nothing.   Zero.  One used 2001 Catalina 34 was the only representation of the brand shown by a broker.   I saw Bavarias, Dufors, Juneau, Beneteaus, Hunters, Lagoon 44, Tartans, C&C, Island Packet, but no Catalina's.   

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Jon Schneider

Quote from: waterdog on February 04, 2009, 10:38:04 PM
I read this last night and it seemed like a reasonable comment.   And then on the way into the floating show I saw an abomination on a trailer.  Something like a Macgregor that was sent to the designer of farm equipment with a directive to remove any prettiness from the sheer.   It was so disgusting as to be nearly unrecognizable as a boat.   

LOL, though I happen to find tractors (the smaller ones) quite sexy.  I agree that the smaller Hunters are very much like DNA-experiments on MacGregors (wonder how that company survives... or if it will).  I was really thinking about their new keel-boats in the 30+ range when I commented on Hunter's improvement, and the improvement is as much in production quality and innovation as it is in aesthetics. 

PS: It was the Pontiac Aztec.  It always amazes me when I see one on the road. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

The lack of Catalinas at the show could, I say could, be attributed to the Florida move.  I don't know for sure, but before doom and gloom set in, let's consider the possibilities.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Lance Jones

As an industry insider (Gill Foul Weather Gear), I get to see and hear somethings before the general public as some of our reps also rep boats. Look for some really neat things out of Catalina over the next year or so.

I'm happy that CY, so far, has resisted the urge to do a new boat just to do one because all the other are. An example is Hunters 27 Edge -- designed to compete with the McGregor 26. A Power Sail combo that does neither well. Expect a new CY sooner rather than later that will break the mold for the others. Awesome product that will knock everyone's socks off. :thumb:
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Tom Clay

POG....Would that be the CY445. Check the Catalina site, it is up. From the specs it rates as a racing boat, going back to a narrow beam based on the length.

Looks like Catalina wants to get back to a boat that performs.
Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.

Stu Jackson

Jon Schneider

Quote from: pogmusic on February 05, 2009, 09:09:27 AM
As an industry insider (Gill Foul Weather Gear), I get to see and hear somethings before the general public as some of our reps also rep boats. Look for some really neat things out of Catalina over the next year or so.

Lance, unless CY made you sign an NDA, they actually want you to spill the beans.  Marketing 101: tell the trade so that they can spread the news to their customers via word of mouth prior to the official launch.

So, spill the beans!  What's going to knock our socks off?
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

The new February 2009 Mainsheet magazine has an ad for the new C445.  Looks like the C350/C375 layout down below with two heads.  The forward starboard settee seat is still across from the forward port head wall!  There's a big deep U shaped settee, deeper than ours on port forward of the galley.  Still no sea berths??? Nowhere to install lee cloths.  The aft cabin is angled!  I can't wait to see this puppy in person!  I can't wait to walk again, either... :D