splicing nut for halyard

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

I bought a couple 300 foot spools of line (Yale cordage) at a local marine store close out and thought I would use these to update the halyards. One 7/16 and one 5/16. I see Catalina supplies 3/8 inch line as standard but but I think the line will pass through the gear ok. ( and I only paid like $30 per spool) After reading how you splice braded line and looking up splicing kits it seems a lot easier and cheaper to buy a couple of the splicing nuts advertised on the Catalina site). ($35 for a splicing kit, $7.50 each for the splicing nuts at catalina store) So I ordered a couple. anyone else here used them?

Stu Jackson

I've had a simple bowline tied carefully (i.e., snugged up against the thimble of the Wichard halyard shackle - the one with the blue built-in thimble) for ten years on our main halyard.  The price was right!   :D  The main halyard doesn't shake, as noted in the text for the splicing nut.  KISS
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Allan.SVCarina

I would 2nd the use of a bowline.  Mine has the same and have not had any problems to date on this one or for that matter previous as well.
Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)

Rick Johnson

I agree with Stu and Allan for the use of a bowline.  Wish I could do a nice eye-splice, but I've had no problems with any of the bowlines and the cost is zero...  They have worked for hundreds of years, why change now....

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ted Pounds

I've always eye-spliced.  I think it's neater.  However I don't know what a spicing nut is.  :donno:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Terry : I  4th the bowline !!  That way you can "end for end" the lines in 4 or 5 years and distribute the wear.  Saves you having to buy new lines.  I use 7/16" for my haylards.
If you go with the bowline be sure to take a wire tie and secure the bitter end to the loop - that way there is no way that the knot can be undone with out removing the wire tie. 
A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788

horsemel

This is our third boat, with a 20 year break between #2 and #3.  Never used anything but a bowline.  Never a failure.  Always able to untie them.  My old scoutmaster would be proud!
Mark Mueller
Hull 815 Blue Moon
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

sail4dale

Yep, all my boats for 40 years have used bowlines.  Another advantage of  a bowline is that when the halyard gets chewed up by the line lock, you can just remove the bowline and cut off a foot and get the chaff in a different location.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

mnewber

Terry i'd be curious on your comments on this when you get them installed.  I have too been looking at these to address a couple of lines on my boat.  I have tried the slicing bought the kit and while I used to be able to do it some years ago, I no longer seem to be able to get it.  In my area if I want someone to do a splice i have to travel 60 miles, not worth it from that standpoint.
Post up your findings! 

don't let all the others scare you!   :thumb:

Stu Jackson

OK, OK, I must admit to it:  I tied two bowlines on my jib clew the other day (put our winter 110 on, took the summer 85 off) and they both blew out first tack!

I still recommend (listen up here, Stu!) learning to tie the knot correctly.   :cry4`

Terry Forshier

I received the splicing nuts and looked at the directions on the package. Seemed easy. However, when it came to threading (screwing) the sleve over the line and fastener (insides) it was not so easy. I eventually took the whole thing into the shop put it on a vice and used channel locks to tighten the system up. then it looked fine. The only problem I saw was that after I was done I had the loop and the shackel and then the length of the splicing nuy all in all it was maybe 8 inches of gear to attach a halyard shackel. I ran it up the mast on the roller and did have enough room to tighten the system securely but I had had some doubts.
Whe  I replace the mainsheet line (the 60 foot line around the traveler etc) I just used a bowline know as suggested here. Seemed a lot easier and will probably change out the other line when I change sails next.
Maybe I will find another place to use these but for now will keep them for an emeergency.
(I too seem to get fogged when tying a bowlilne in a hurry.) I keep my knot book out and handy to look at when I tie one. Really though, I should know this as I spent 15years as a scout executive in the Boy Scouts.

Ken Heyman

I also use a bowline but ,until  reading this thread, was reluctant to admit it. ---- great minds thinking alike?

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

waterdog

Splicing nuts?  Badly tied bowlines?   Gentlemen, we're heading into winter.   Get a fid, a pusher, a roll of tape, and a felt tipped marker.   Google the instructions on the internet.  Do your first splice in double braid.   Pour yourself some Mount Gay rum.  Do your second splice.  Never live in fear.   Pour some more rum.  And then just once in your life, tie a Monkey's Fist.  And never walk down the dock feeling like your anything but a true sailor...

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

mnewber

Terry, thanks for your report!  I was considering using them on the traveler line ends (where I'm using a bowline) AFTER buying the splicing kit and trying three times to get the hang of it.  I'll try it again but maybe with some Tequila shots this time. 
Or maybe I'll just send the project up to waterdog.  It's going into hibernation time up north so maybe he's looking for a few extra projects! :wait