Oil Pressure guage

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

I have a 88 catalina 25 kubota motor, hull 613, don't have a oil pressure gauge, just a light which I am not sure works, I have read the archieves but couldn't find where anyone actually installed a guage at the engine instrument panel, has anyone done this "upgrade"?  If so what did you use and where did you connect from on the engine, did you have to replace the old sending unit?, boat is 160 miles away otherwise I may be able to diagnose some of this.  thank you, appreciate your help.  Bobg
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ron Hill

Bob : What I did was to wire in a Radio Shack (loud) 12v audio alarm.  That way when the light is ON the alarm sounds (for no oil pressure).  Just attach another wire from the audio alarm to each of the leads from the light - easy to do. 
Just make sure that you get a veryable audio ie. on mine when I hear a solid tone - it's the depth finder alarm and the warbling LOUD sound is the oil pressure alarm!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

The PO of my boat replaced the fuel gauge with a oil pressure gauge so I know it can be done but sorry to say I never looked at how it's set up.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ken Juul

#28 in the picture is the Oil Pressure switch that runs the alarm.  To change from alarm to guage, change the sensor to a pressure sensor and install the wiring/guage to the cockpit.   Most engines have more than one access to the oil pressure system.  There may be a second port that can be used so you can have a guage and alarm.  Unfortunately the manuals we have posted don't show that info.  Might want to call/email Universal and ask the experts.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Michael

Bob, I recently installed an oil pressure sender unit on Hali's M35B engine, which had two ports (only one of which was being used, by the oil pressure switch) for the installation of oil pressure measuring devices.

You might look at page 50 of the Universal Marine Diesel Engines Service Manual (Publication No. 200554 1st edition/January 2001) for the M-25XPB, M-35B, and M-40B where there is a drawing of the oil pressure measuring devices ports.  The drawing shows two ports.  Also, the drawing called "Oil pan assembly, oil pressure switch - M-25XPB" at page 5 of the Universal Marine Diesel Engine M-25XPB, M-35B, MM-40B Parts List (Publication No. 201021 1st edition December 2001) shows a two port setup, one with a plug in it (which is how I found the setup on Hali).  Even if your boat didn't have a dual port setup, it looks as though it would be a simple matter to obtain the two or three parts necessary to add the second port onto the bracket.

Assuming you already have two such ports for the installation of oil pressure devices, the installation of an oil pressure sender unit (by screwing it into the spare port I hope you have) is a relatively simple matter.   I bought an oil pressure sender unit and gauge from Lordco.  They came in one package and were made by Auto Meter Products Inc., 413 W. Elm Street, Sycamore, Illinois 60178 USA, tel. 815-899-0801.

On Hali, there is room to cut the new 2" outside diameter oil pressure gauge into the instrument panel at the helm station.  Whether there is room on your boat is something you might want to check before proceeding with the project.

Good luck with it.

Michael MacLeod, "Hali" 1997 Hull #1352, Universal M-35B engine, Vancouver, BC