Jacklines and tethers, & Padeyes for them

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

Getting me kind of curious on this subject now.  I ran across the link posted below in another forum and I'm wondering thoughts on having two jack lines on port and starboard and also using the pad eyes in the cockpit area.  I already have the padeyes but curious about 2 lines run from the bow cleat to the stern cleats.   :abd:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/71890-rigging-jacklines-2.html
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

You generally use only one side at a time!  :shock:

I only run one down the starboard side.  I can get to the other (port) side with the tether.  I never found the need to run two jacklines.  Starboard side from habit from the Catalina 25, which required me to go to the mast to reef, hence, that side.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

Good link to Sailnet. 
FYI.  "The Great Lakes Singlehanded Society" calls for 2 jacklines per side.  One inside the lifelines, one outside.  The idea is if you go overboard, you are clipped into the inside jackline, you reclip into the outside jackline, cut the tether to the inside jackline, go to the stern and climb back in.
interesting video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gQbDzXAOdY&context=C4f61b7dADvjVQa1PpcFPPpyd-9mDjv2GNwqDjmYtmYJO1kMW4lQo=

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scotty

I run jack lines on both port and starboard so that two crew can go forward (one each side) independently.  In a pinch two guys can use the same line.  I remember having offshore saftey harnesses rigged with two lines so that you could go around obsticles by hooking up one line, then unhooking the other - so that you were always attached.  With a single jack line from bow to stern you can go the entire boat without un-hooking.  When I single-hand, I only rig the starboard line.  I do like the other ideas expressed here.  Thanks.
Scotty

Kevin Henderson

I have a sturdy well placed padeye on the foredeck and two additional well backed padeyes in the cockpit near the stern cleats.  (Stu:  I like the idea of a single line running to starboard)  My question is:

What is a desired length for a jackline.  I have found them available in various lengths.  I am thinking of 30' or 35'.  I have not yet measured it out exactly but generally, is it better to have the jacklines very taught? or if slack, how much slack is desired? :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

The length depends on where and how you are running the line.  I figured the distance between the forward and stern cleats was about 34 feet, and added length for the bowline knot at the bow and cleat hitches at the stern.  I bought 40 feet of webbing.  Keep it as tight as possible, not slack, but you'll never get it taut, no reason to do so.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."