Genoa furling line

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

On my tall rig, 1990 boat, whats the size and length of the furling line?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Craig Illman

Cliff - I probably depends on your furler. For my Hood 900 LD, I think I have 7/16" x 75' of StaSet with the first 30' cored.

Craig

Jon Schneider

Actually, it really depends on the size of your genny as well as the type of furler you have.  Cliff, I seem to recall that you have a Harken furler, but if I'm wrong, and you have one of those old Hood continuous line furlers, that a whole 'nother story.  Cliff, you must have a furling line now, right?  Just measure it.  From a diameter perspective, it would probably be nice to go up a line size, but you probably won't be able to.  On my Harken with a 145 genoa, I use 5/16" line because that's the heaviest that my drum will house. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ken Juul

To get a larger furler line, a solution proposed by the Schaffer rep at the Catalina Rendezvous was to decore the line that wraps in the drum.  The outer shell will provide more than enough strength in this application
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

We use 61 feet of 5/16" StaySet on our ProFurl with a 110% max size jib.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

crieders

I have a 155 genny on a Harkin drum. It takes a lot of line, for sure.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022