Autohelm ST4000 Autopilot clutch failure

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Busey

The Autohelm 4000 clutch has failed on "Bitterroot", and I am told by the dealer that the clutch replacement  kit is no longer available, and that the unit cannot be repaired.  Since the electronics are good, I would be delighted to hear from anyone who has a working wheel unit that they would be willing to sell.  Thanks.
Hank Busey  Missoula, Montana        hwbusey@montana.com

Ken Juul

I've got a first generation 4000.  The control pad is fried, the wheel unit has been rebuilt a couple times, the clutch has some "mcgiver" mods to make it work.  It squeaks alot but might have a year or two left in it.  Unfortunately I won't be back to the boat for a couple of weeks.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Hank Busey

Ken, that sounds great.  I would be happy to pay postage plus whatever you feel the unit is worth.   
My mailing address is Hank Busey, 75 Brookside Way, Missoula, MT 59802.   Thanks so much.   Hank

Stu Jackson

Here's some more info:  http://www.c36ia.com/node/747

[keywords: autohelm, 4000 repair]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roland Gendreau

I experienced the same failure on my autohelm 4000. I had found the article on the C36 list that Stu referenced above and repaired my unit the same way.  While I was at it, I followed the same procedure on all of the rollers to prevent the same failure from happening on any of them in the future.  One suggestions is to use acorn nuts on the ends of the bolts where they are exposed on the forward side of the unit.

Roland Gendreau
Gratiture #1183
Bristol, RI
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI