genoa-jib cars

Previous topic - Next topic

joe

i would be interested in some input on getting the best performance form the jib at different points of sail in relation to movement of the genoa cars forward or aft on the rails and when to use the outer rail rather than the inner one. some of you who have raced should have some good imfo to share. tx. joe
joe hamilton;  1988 catalina hull # 792; fresh water inland lake; "march hare"

Joe and Carol

Watch tell tails of the jib, the twist of the sail, and relative speed to position of cars and experiment moving the cars to find the "sweet spot" position in light , moderate and heavy winds.  I found by experimenting with car position the ability to reduce drag and increase lift dramatically improves.  Mark positions for your favorite wind conditions.  Sometimes one slot position change makes much improvment in wind propelling the jib especially in light wind conditions.  See you at the lake! 
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

joe

joe, i have done as you are suggesting and of course have some ideas about what is right for different conditions. but, as you know, where we sail the wind is variable due to the wind swirling around the hills and the islands and we rarely get enough time under set conditions to get good input. when i took trips in the carribean, we set a course and the wind would be steady for several hours and out of the same direction and you could adjust sail trim nicely. tx for the advice.
joe hamilton;  1988 catalina hull # 792; fresh water inland lake; "march hare"

Stu Jackson

Joe,

Generally, the out cars are used for beam reach to run sailing to get the jib outboard for most sail area to the wind.  Inner tracks are used for close reach to close hauled for better pointing.

Many folks have added th Garhauer adjustable jib car system for improved movement of the jib fairlead without leaving the cockpit.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

tommyt

OK, I am challenged and know it. I tried a search here for the adjustable jib cars, and cannot find anything on them. Looked at the Garhauer site and no luck there either. Can someone please guide me to a link please?

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Mert Gollaher

Here's one discussion thread I had marked for a future purchase:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3894.msg21981.html#msg21981

It includes a good picture of Garhauer EZ Glide system E-ZG-1UB, but I think the model for 1.25" track is E-ZG-2UB.

Best,
Mert
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

Mert Gollaher

Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

Ted Pounds

A couple of rough rules-of-thumb:  More wind - lead cars aft; less wind - lead cars forward.  Close hauled - lead cars aft;  off the wind - lead cars forward (and outboard, as Stu said).  These are just rough WAGs, YMMV...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jon Schneider

I don't usually make such pronouncements, but if you haven't installed the Garhauer E-Z glide (that's what to look for on their site) system of adjustable jib lead cars, you ain't sailing (I think Harken also makes them, but the would require a different track).  You can actually fine tune the most important jib control mechanism you have, the car (okay, I suppose the actual sheet tension is the most important, but this is second, way ahead of halyard tension.  Joe, get this, and then start adjusting based on telltails.  You won't believe the difference.  Call Garhauer for guidance on the correct size product. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Momentum M

Hi guys...I'm just returning from 3 wk vacation and again this "adjuster" is a gem!!!  Garhauer ratio is 5:1 and it's plenty strong for most wind.  Also, since I was on Holiday I had time to do some thinking and I decided to install the original cars (now in a box) on the outer track for use on a run since I would (beside be hing on the most outside) gain a good 10-12 in. more forward as the adjustable one, with all the rope and blocks do take that much space when pull tight against each others.  Also, as Stu mentioned, it could also be use when on a beam reach.

This way, I've got more possibilities and do use both tracks.  When using the outer track, I could also move the adjustable ones to guide the sheets to the winch w/o rubbing on the boat or candles....that is from the Genoa to the car on the outer track, under the life line to the adjustable car (cleverly positioned) and then to the winch. Best of all world.

Serge
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May