signet sailing systems

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

My boat has a signet system set up for depth, wind direction, wind speed,  mph or kph etc. Unfortunatly it is somewhat unreliable. Now the wind speed guage is not reading at all. The little cups on the masttop are spinning but I get no read out. Checking connections in the boxes does not improve the situation. I called signet and asked about this they said send it in.
My question is..Is this worth repairing or am I just spending money on outdated technology? I see there are now wireless set ups for mast mounted readings etc. What is the scoop on these and has anyone tried them?

Ted Pounds

I put the Tack-tic on mine and it's still going strong for the new owner 5 years later.  They are a bit pricey, but VERY easy to install. 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ken Juul

Did you check the connections at the bottom of the mast?  There is usually a connection at the top of the mast where the arm that holds the cup/vane plugs in.  Both locations are prone to corrosion.

Some one told me that one of the initial oems for wireless systems was using batteries that could not be replaced.  When they died they required unit replacement.  Can't verify, but I would ask the question before I purchased.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA