Which Jib for 04 C-34

Previous topic - Next topic

Skipperjay

My 04 C-34 was purchased in the SF Bay area and came with an 110% jib sail. I sail out of Marina del Rey in So. Calif. where we have moderate winds and I think my boat could benefit from a larger jib. I am planning on upgrading to a new 135% jib. I would appreciate recommendations on sources to consider for this purchase.

Thanks,

Skipperjay

Ted Pounds

Can't help w/ a sail-maker, but, since you already have a good heavy air jib, you might want to think about a 155 instead of a 135.  It makes a huge difference in light air.  Just a thought...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jon Schneider

I second Ted's reco, but I don't know your winds.  I'm very happy with a high-clew 145 that I had built by Kappa in Connecticut.  It's not the best of light-weather sails, but is pretty adequate in that regard, and yet is very shape-able for the many days of 15-20 kt winds.  Everyone I know on the left coast swears by Pineapple Sails.  They're in SF, but the owner, Kame, really knows his stuff and could advise you and build a great sail for you.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

BillG

Kappa sails is great and Clark Bassett, the owner is very easy to deal with.

www.kappasails.com
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

dave davis

For what its worth, a little history lesson about the 135 sail that now appears in the CY spec sheet.. The original sail selection from CY listed a 130 as the standard sail size and therefore our Fleet 1 in San Francisco has a standard one-design racing sail using a 130%. For some unknown reason the CY decided to change to the 135% which has caused a small flap with the Fleet 1 racers.
So, if you ever decide to sail north and join in our annual regatta, we would love to have you with your 130%. We have had visitors from the South join us in the past.
BTW, all my sails have been made by Pineapple and I have been quite satisfied with their design and workmanship.
Good sailing, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

sail4dale

I sail out of Cabrillo Beach (San Pedro) and have used a 135% tha came with the boat.  It is about all I need and with the roller furling  I serves me well.  The only time I would want a larger one is if I was racing PHRF. In our racing, I race cruiser class and a larger that 135 sail would penalize me in handicap time.  I assume you have roller furling so my impression is you would be happy with a 135.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)