Greasing wheel advice

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne

Last weekend I realized why my steering was squeaking so much--I forgot to grease the wheel this spring when I was checking and oiling the steering stuff 'down below'.  I'll be rectifying this Friday morning, but I've never greased my wheel before, so:

1.  Am I OK using the same general purpose marine grade grease that I used on my windlass (and which I have on hand)?

2.  Anything to watch out for?  Specifically, when I pull off my wheel  and start spreading grease is there anything that I should keep grease away from (keep dry).

Thanks in advance.  As always, advice is greatly appreciated!

Wayne
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Craig Illman

Ron Hill

Wayne : Follow Edson's instructions that Craig sent.  Just make sure that you don't get any grease or oil on the bronze center that the wheel brake tightens on to. 
I usually take some lacquer thinner and wipe that bronze piece off - just to make sure it's oil free and clean.  A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

I know this is conflicting info.  When I had my binnicle apart this winter I had intended to replace the wheel brake pads.  There was plenty of brake material left, so I called Edson for advice.  They said after many years the brake pad material tends to dry out and get hard.  They recommended using engine oil to reinvigorate the pads.  Over the course of the winter I've been giving the pads liberal doses with a rag underneath to catch any drips.  I did try to clean the bronze drum off before I buttoned up as Ron suggests.  Haven't had the boat out yet this year, don't know if it helped or not.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

I'm sure that there is some merit in Edson's advice !?!  However, it seems to me like putting engine oil on you auto brake pads!! 
I'll still keep mine dry and the center bronze friction disc cleaned off with lacquer thinner.  It's only worked for 21 seasons.  :think
Ron, Apache #788