Pump Woes on M35 BC Engine from the C36 MB - Reminder About Service Bulletins

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

FYI, this was posted on the C36 Message Board.  Richard Bain was a former C34IA Member, and we wish him well on his mishap.  I've copied this to remind you all with these engines to check the Westerbeke Service Bulletins, and read your Mainsheet magazines, INCLUDING THE ARTICLES WRITTEN FOR OTHER BOATS SIMILAR TO OUR C34s.  The service bulletin for this issue was posted in Mainsheet in the C36 tech notes section a while ago, and some of the C34 skippers missed it.

************************************************************************************************************************

Rich Bain
  Posted Sun May 18 2008 09:39 AM 
Just launched # 1670...1998 MK2. No water coming out of diesel...replaced the impeller...still nothing. Noticed that the impeller shaft was not turning. Further investigation found a sheared shaft on the engine (Cam) side. Does not sound good, since I just bought it and have gone all of 200'.
Does anyone know if the cam drives the impeller directly or is it geared or belt driven off the cam. Makes a big difference in the repair prognosis. The motor is a Universal M35 BC

Thanks very much!

Rich
Pazzo # 1670

Richard Bain
PAZZO # 1670
Bayfield Ontario 

Tom Senator
Skipper
  Posted Sun May 18 2008 02:16 PM 
Rich,

Yes, the raw water impeller IS driven by the cam shaft of the engine. There are two tangs that the slot of the raw water pump slides into. Is there no sleeve over the end of the shaft ?

Sounds like your engine & the previous owner did not hear about & get the simple free fix/upgrade to help prevent this. Its a simple sleeve that goes over the cam shaft tangs to help to prevent what happened to you.

(***thats why its invaluable to join the C36 International Association -- we notified every boat owner via mail and through emails and tech notes etc etc)

Did you just buy this boat !? Did you have a surveyor look over the engine and start it up and run it? I hope this wasn't an existing condition and the reason why they were selling -- (Sorry New York skeptic in me)

I am amazed this wasn't fixed on your boat in all these years and now broke just after you bought the boat.

Here are some links to the cam shaft sleeve fix/recall

http://www.catalina36.org/site2004/productrecall_camshaftsleeve.htm

http://www.westerbeke.com/mdtools/service_bulletins/sb%5F235%2Epdf

I had this happen to my boat and got it fixed before anyone knew there was a wide spread issue. The good news is it is fixable and you most likely have no damage. The problem is it will cost you some money to get a good deisel mechanic to change out your camshaft.

First thing I would do is contact Westerbeke. I would ask for Joe Joyce - (508) 823-7677 Ext. 234 If he's not there maybe try Bob Bisanti and tell them what happened and what they would recommend . Maybe more importantly is they might recommend someone in your area qualified to do the job.

Who knows if you are really lucky maybe they can get you the new camshaft and all the extra parts like gaskets for a reduced price ?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : Good information and IMPORTANT notices -- in those Mainsheet tech notes!!  Be a C34IA member and get the Mainsheet.  The C36 and earlier C28/C30 have the same/similiar engines as the C34s!!   
Ron, Apache #788

Roger Blake

When I ordered my replacement fuel filter bracket over the winter (yes...I had the knife cut and it is cracked), Westerbeke sent me the waterpump sleeve as well. Today is the day I checked (haven't been sailing this year yet) and my engine was missing the sleeve too. So, you folks with 1998 boats, beware...there is a good chance you don't have the sleeve. Easy repair...1-2 hours. I'm going sailing now (finally...).
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414