Thanks!

Previous topic - Next topic

pjcomeau

We finally had our launch this weekend (three weeks late, due to flooding).

I'd like to thank everyone for their ongoing support. Since we were late launching I talked myself into more work then I had originally planed for this year. As you may have read in other postings, I cut out my old shaft, got a new shaft, cutlass bearing, new coupler and PSS shaft seal. Oh and as long as I was at it, I got a Kiwi feathering prop (can you say reverse power, idle speed is almost to fast). Other then in water alignment, I got done on time for the launch.

A little bit of information for people looking to get a PSS shaft seal. As someone alluded to in a previous posting, even though they still make reference to fast and slow (< 12 or > 12 knots), the same seal is shipped out with the barb for a hose. The difference is how you use the hose (vent only for slow speed). The on-line web site still has the old installation instructions in the main page and the new instructions (included with the seal) in the download page. Lets just say, I panicked at first when I saw the barb and thought , no more work.... Actually, quite simple just run a proper hose out above the waterline and as close to centerline as possible. I brought it out next to the propane locker.

Another piece of advice, don't rush putting things back together thinking you will save time. I ended up ordering the coupler from Catalina Yachts directly, but they could get a shaft to me on time, so I got one made locally. I got the shaft and cutlass before the coupler, so I put the shaft and bearing back in (I had the machine shop build me the knock off version of the strutpro described in the C310 web site). Surprise, surprise the couple did not want to slip onto the new shaft... (It was off by a hair). After a combination of things I got them together. If I had waited, I could have brought the shaft and coupler back to the machine shop and actually saved myself some time.

Now, on to the mast, raw water pump, more leaks, and hopefully some sailing...
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Roger Blake

Pierre--
I'm in the same situaton as you...behind in sailing. I was over 6 weeks late getting in the drink and am still working on projects before my first sail this year. Though, I've found some satisfaction in resolving the issues I've run across to get her ready. Ahh...a boat...can't live with her and can't live without her.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414