Impeller replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Turner

I have a 2006 with the 35 horse Universal, and am not worried about the impeller yet, but it looks very difficult to get at those bolts.  Why didn't they mount them forward facing?!  Has anyone put on Speedseal fasteners, and if so, are they easy to use?  Or are there any other alternatives?  I would hate to have to change this impeller in a two foot chop.  (My old C30 was so easy to replace.) Thanks. 

crieders

I was told that you cannot use the Speedseal on that installation but you should ask. I have a box wrench at the ready in case I ever needed a quick change but it is a pain in the butt. I asked a Universal dealer about it at a boat show and he did not have much to say. You can replace the pump with a an Oberdorf or is it Oberdorfer and it has a plate with foward facing screws.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Rob Turner

Thanks Cliff
Will check in to that
Rob

Ken Juul

The Sherwood impeller change is not that hard.  The trick is to find a wrench that works on all the bolts.  I have a short box end with a half inch or so offset that will easily reach all the bolts.  I keep it with my replacement impeller.

Unscrew the housing, swap impellers, splash some cooking oil on to lubricate, reinstall the cover in about 5 minutes.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Rob Turner

OK Ken, will try that first. 
Thanks, Rob

tommyt

I hated this job before I found a tool I liked. Bought a set of Craftsman wrenches with ratchets in the box end. Now...easy. Plus I use the set for almost anything on the boat now.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Rob Turner

What a great idea!    My next purchase...Rob

Mark Elkin

Probably not too applicable to your M35, but I did install the Speed Seals on my M25's Oberdorfer pump.  In my case, they work well.
Mark S Elkin

tonywright

Can you tell us whether they are SAE or metric?

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

tommyt

Tony,

Assuming you are asking me if the Craftsman product was SAE or Metric. I will have to check my Sherwood pump for the answer and will get back to you on that. The set that I bought was in a case and had both SAE and Metric in the set. I used the one that fit this year and really don't remember which one it was. I will let you know.
Tom
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Craig Illman

Tony - The Sherwood on my M25-XPA has 7/16" heads on the three cap screws. Thinking I should stop by Sears myself.

Craig